This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6028 / 55°36'10"N
Longitude: -4.5073 / 4°30'26"W
OS Eastings: 242133
OS Northings: 637205
OS Grid: NS421372
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.N2FJ
Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.QFVP
Plus Code: 9C7QJF3V+43
Entry Name: 82 Dundonald Road, Kilmarnock
Listing Name: 82 Dundonald Road
Listing Date: 1 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396181
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48718
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Gabriel Andrew, 1895. 2? -storey, 3-bay multi-gabled shallow L-plan villa with single storey enclosed entrance porch and wing flanking. Pink and yellow coursed ashlar sandstone with deep rock-faced ashlar base course. Long and short quoins, coursers between. Half-timbered principal gables with plain bargeboards.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: to extreme right, recessed entrance porch with arched entrance door surround, 2-leaf arched timber panelled door, paired brackets supporting overhanging roof to right. 3-bay L-plan main house to left: central bipartite window to ground and 1st floor; projecting 5-light bay window to ground floor right, tripartite window above to 1st floor, half-timbered gable surmounting; slightly advanced bay to left with further 2-storey 5-light piended bay window with lintel and sill course, half-timbered gable surmounting. Extended single storey wing to left with high paired windows.
NE ELEVATION: single storey gabled extension to ground floor, central window to upper storey and attic.
SE (REAR) ELEVATION: steps leading to almost central entrance door with smaller window to left and tripartite window above to 1st floor; bipartite window to both storeys on right; slightly advanced gable to left with tripartite to ground floor and bipartite window to 1st floor, half-timbering to gablehead. Rear of porch to left: bipartite window, single window to rear of single storey right wing.
SW ELEVATION: porch to ground floor centre and right with tripartite window in gable end, window to left of main gable; central window to upper storey and attic.
2-pane timber sash and case glazing: upper moveable lights concealed behind stone transoms to ground floor bays, plain sash and case to upper bays. Plain plate glass to most, multi-paned coloured glazing of square quarry to upper lights on 1st floor of principal elevation, 9-pane upper lights to rear elevation with multi-paned glazing in rears of wings. Piended grey slate roof with overhanging eaves and exposed rafters to main house, porch and single storey wing, splayed eaves to bay windows on principal elevation. Long half-timbered panels to gable heads with mock exposed rafters following roofline. Wrought-iron decorative finials surmounting. Metal ridging, valleys and flashings. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods, gutters above exposed rafters, down pipes to sides and returns. Yellow brick stacks to side gableheads with paired bands of red brick decoration, 7 plain yellow cans; further stack to centre of roof, as before with 3 cans.
INTERIOR: large rooms; original timber work including skirting boards, panelled doors, timber balustrade and newel post to staircase. Cornicing. Metal guard rails to lower lights of some 1st floor windows. Entrance porch and door to SW, as per original plans.
Listed as a good example of a little altered villa from the late 19th century by a local architect. Dundonald Road was one of the major residential areas at the end of the 19th century, along with Portland and London Road. These were the areas favoured by the middle classes and merchants who used their wealth to commission individual villas as symbols of their status. The growth of Dundonald Road is noticeable on maps, radiating outward from the urban Holy Trinity end of the street to the rural south. The plans for this villa were drawn up for a W Granger, a local businessman. The architect was Gabriel Andrew, from Kilmarnock, who had served his apprenticeship with William Railton. Andrew started his own practice in 1875 and this villa is one of his earlier buildings. His practice, at the time, was in Messrs John Walker and Sons' office building in Croft Street, which he designed. Andrew was later one of the prominent architects of commercial buildings within the town centre. This villa remained within the family for many years, with the retired James W Granger owning it in the 1930's. The villa remains in residential use today.
Other nearby listed buildings