This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6069 / 55°36'24"N
Longitude: -4.4787 / 4°28'43"W
OS Eastings: 243956
OS Northings: 637602
OS Grid: NS439376
Mapcode National: GBR 3H.MWGC
Mapcode Global: WH3QB.5BKH
Plus Code: 9C7QJG4C+QG
Entry Name: Stanley, 70 London Road, Kilmarnock
Listing Name: 70 London Road, Stanely
Listing Date: 1 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396237
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48763
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock East and Hurlford
Traditional County: Ayrshire
William Forrest Valentine, 1927. 1? & 2-storey, 3-bay Glasgow style rectangular villa with open verandah. Red Ballochmyle sandstone ashlar principal, red brick sides and rear.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: paired steps leading to central entrance bay: angle pilasters containing slightly recessed arched door with round glazed panel, panelled below; projecting open bed segmental pediment surmounting. Bipartite window to 1st floor within continued recess; stepped cornice, triangular gable with blind arrow slit to gablehead. 2-storey, 3-sided canted bay window to left with single window to each side on both floors; cornice, broken above central bay resembling faux battlements. Slightly lower bay to right: open verandah to ground floor with low stone wall to front, open to left, adjoining central entrance with door to left, front facing bipartite window to ground floor under over sailing roof; flat roofed bipartite dormer to 1st floor.
W ELEVATION: shallow half gable to right: window to right on both floors, slightly projecting full height stepped stack to centre with window to left on ground floor. Later brick extension adjoining to left rear.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen, 2001 - later sympathetic red brick extension.
E ELEVATION: half gable to left: rectangular open verandah entrance to ground floor left, window to right with matching window to 1st floor; slightly projecting full height stepped stack to centre. Later brick extension to right: paired windows to ground floor, single window to 1st floor right.
2-pane timber sash and case windows; to front elevation: upper sashes multi paned, leaded with stained glass floriate panels, lower sashes plain glass. Piended grey slate roof, longer lower piended roof to right bay. Terracotta ridge tiles. Metal flashing and valleys. Flat roofed timber dormer to right, with slated cheeks. Cast-iron painted rainwater goods. Short, red brick, gablehead stacks, projecting band just below neck, single terracotta can to left stack, paired terracotta cans to right stack.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2001.
Leading out of Kilmarnock to the east is London Road. Along with Portland and Dundonald Roads, London Road was viewed as a fashionable address in the 19th century. Originally, a few classical villas were set along this semi-rural road, with open aspects to the south and north. Prosperous Victorians bought land and had villas individually designed and built as symbols of their wealth. Being the furthest away from town, this end of London Road was not developed until the early 20th century. Built on a gap site, this villa residence was built for George Haslett. William Forrest Valentine (1885 - 1957), a local architect in Kilmarnock, designed Stanely. He had studied in Italy and was formerly an apprentice to Robert S Ingram. Although he set up his own practice in 1907, his most prolific periods were during 1913, then 1920 - 1930. Much of his work was for the Kilmarnock Equitable and co-operative societies within Ayrshire. His Kilmarnock work includes the Hunting Lodge pub (formerly the Dark Horse), the Masonic Hall (also in London Road) and his own house, Gardrum (21 Glasgow Road). The Kilmarnock Directory of 1933 -36 shows Mrs Elizabeth Haslett (of Geo Haslett) as living in "Stanely", London Road, the name which has remained until today. The house has been sympathetically extended to the rear later in the 20th century. Listed as a good example of a villa by William Forrest Valentine.
Other nearby listed buildings