This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6071 / 55°36'25"N
Longitude: -4.4844 / 4°29'3"W
OS Eastings: 243596
OS Northings: 637632
OS Grid: NS435376
Mapcode National: GBR 3H.MTXH
Mapcode Global: WH3QB.2BVC
Plus Code: 9C7QJG48+R6
Entry Name: 77 London Road, Kilmarnock
Listing Name: 77 London Road, Deanmont
Listing Date: 3 July 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 380620
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35932
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock East and Hurlford
Traditional County: Ayrshire
James Ingram, circa 1870. 2-storey, 3-bay, shallow L-plan classical villa. Ashlar sandstone with polished dressings, now painted. Balustraded ground floor bays. Base, band and 1st floor sill course to NE and SE. Painted window margins. Overhanging bracketed eaves to cornice
NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: door to central bay within portico: paired Roman Doric columns to outer flanks, right-hand pair engaging wall; matching single column to internal flank of each pair; engaged pilaster to rear of portico; all supporting moulded cornice and balustraded parapet. Single window above to 1st floor, sill concealed behind balustrade of portico. To left bay, tripartite window to ground floor in shallow, balustraded, squared projection; to 1st floor, plain window with sill concealed by balustrade of ground floor window. Advanced, gablet bay to right: canted, 3-light balustraded bay window to centre; tripartite window above with bracketed triangular pediment to central light; ornate stone finial to gablehead terminating in spike.
SE ELEVATION: window to centre; band course and sill course. To 1st floor, 3 regularly placed bays; bracketed cornice surmounting.
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen, 2001.
NW ELEVATION: ground floor fenestration concealed behind coursed ashlar wall; to 1st floor, single window to outer bays, paired narrower windows to centre; bracketed cornice surmounting.
Mostly 2-pane timber sash and case windows with horned upper sashes. Piended grey slate roof. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods; gutters concealed by decorative bracketed cornice, downpipes to side elevations. Harled and painted wallhead stacks to NE & SW on slightly wider base courses, plain stone neck copes surmounting. Elaborately decorated bi-coloured cans, mostly with diamond pattern bodies and battlemented tops. Taller plain stone roofline stack to centre of house with plain neck copes and much later, shorter cans.
INTERIOR: now subdivided into 4 flats; not seen, 2001.
London Road leads out of Kilmarnock to the east. Along with Portland and Dundonald Roads, London Road was viewed as a fashionable address in the 19th century. Originally, a few classical villas were set along this semi-rural road, with open aspects to the south and north. This villa was designed by local architect James Ingram, the designer of the Palace Theatre at the corner of Green Street, St Marnock's Church and the Winton Place E.U. Church. He and William Railton were the principal architects of Kilmarnock at this time. Towards the end of his life, Ingram formed a partnership with his prolific son Robert, the architect of the Burns Monument in Kay Park. This villa was one of James' last commissions before his death in 1879.
Other nearby listed buildings