History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

22 and 24 Portland Road

A Category B Listed Building in Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6077 / 55°36'27"N

Longitude: -4.502 / 4°30'7"W

OS Eastings: 242489

OS Northings: 637738

OS Grid: NS424377

Mapcode National: GBR 3G.MPNQ

Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.T9CX

Entry Name: 22 and 24 Portland Road

Listing Date: 1 August 2002

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 396257

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48771

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kilmarnock

County: East Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Kilmarnock

Description

Circa 1855. Pair of semi-detached 2-storey, 2-bay L-plan plain classical dwelling houses. Coursed ashlar, harled and painted. Heavy projecting architraved eaves course. Projecting base course and moulded window margins.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: No 22: door to ground floor right, architraved surround and scrolled bracketed canopy terminating in stepped plaque; to left single window with architraved surround and projecting lintel. 2 regularly placed bays to 1st floor; moulded eaves course projecting E beyond line of the building. No 24: as No 22 but ground floor window/door positions reversed, scrolls missing from base of canopy; moulded eaves course projecting W beyond line of building.

E ELEVATION: to extreme right architraved door surround shared with No20 concealing service passage way, blind to rest of elevation broken only at attic level by gutter.

S (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen, 2001.

W ELEVATION: to extreme left architraved door surround shared with No26 concealing service passage way, blind to rest of elevation broken only at attic level by gutter.

2-pane timber sash and case windows to No 22 with replacement fixed plate windows with top hopper to No 24. Piended grey slate roof with aluminium ridge and flashings. Plain stone skewed gables, flashed over to W. Gablehead stacks both missing. Concealed guttering to principal elevation, following side elevation of building with down pipes to rear.

INTERIOR: retaining some original timber features, i.e. skirting boards and doors. Both houses now in use as business premises.

Statement of Interest

Named after the Duke of Portland, this road contained part of the original "tram road" between Kilmarnock and Troon. The terminus was at the E end of the road where it joins the present St Marnock Street and the line passed where Nos. 6 & 8 Portland Road now stand. Originally, St Marnock Street stretched from King Street to the Railway Bridge at Irvine Road until part of it was re-named Portland Road. This pair of houses is liked to its easterly neighbour by a gate leading to a passage. All the properties were part of planned housing in the development of the road, which was opened up properly between 1855 and 1870. These early buildings were built some time between the 1849 map of the Duke of Portland's property being printed and the 1857 Ordnance Survey map of the same area. Until this point there were few houses in this area of town with the route being primarily rural and leading to large country villas and farms. This pair of houses are now used for commercial / business use as well as residential purposes.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.