This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.9921 / 56°59'31"N
Longitude: -3.4885 / 3°29'18"W
OS Eastings: 309658
OS Northings: 789976
OS Grid: NO096899
Mapcode National: GBR KBR7.GQR
Mapcode Global: WH5L9.DJ14
Plus Code: 9C8RXGR6+RJ
Entry Name: St Ninian's Chapel, Mar Lodge
Listing Name: Mar Lodge Estate, Mar Lodge Including Garden Wall
Listing Date: 24 November 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396261
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48775
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Crathie and Braemar
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Parish: Crathie And Braemar
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
A Marshall MacKenzie, 1895-1898. Large 2-storey idiosyncratic Tudor/Highland style multi-gabled hunting mansion. 5-bay central section with wings at near right angles forming splayed U-plan. Large single storey service court to N (rear). Coursed rock faced Aberdeen-bonded granite. Steeply pitched gables with mock-Tudor half-timbering and decorative bargeboards; overhanging eaves between gables. Base course and string course. Central 2-leaf panelled door with decorative timber rustic porch. Several bay windows to ground floor.
Variety of timber sash and case windows with multi-paned upper sashes, some mullioned, some with stone mullions and transoms. Mullions and transoms to first floor. Rosemary Tile roof. Variety of distinctive tall wallhead and ridge stacks, some with chevron detail; multiple chimney cans.
INTERIOR: central section gutted by fire in 1991, reconstructed using old photographs, to the appearance of the late 19th, early 20th century lodge with ornate decorative plasterwork and extensive timber panelling. Several ornately carved doorpieces including pedimented doors to main lobby. Large and decorative chimneypieces to principal rooms.
GARDEN WALL: Coped granite rubble wall running E from main Lodge; single square head opening. Archaeological investigations suggest this is the last surviving standing structure of the 18th century Dalmore/Mar Lodge complex.
Mar Lodge is a highly distinctive and unusual work by Marshall Mackenzie, employing a mock-Tudor style which is unique in the parish. The splayed U-plan form of the building is also unusual in the region. The Lodge is the dominant building in the area and is highly visible from along the Linn of Dee Road, as well as the surrounding countryside. This large and imposing Lodge is the third building to be named Mar Lodge. The first was just to the east of the current lodge and was originally known as Dalmore House. This house was damaged in the 'Muckle Spate' of 1829, leading to the creation of the second lodge at Corriemulzie. This 'New Mar Lodge' was destroyed by fire in 1895 and resulted in the building of a third Lodge (near to the old lodge which was then demolished). Built for the Duke and Duchess of Fife (Queen Victoria's granddaughter, Louisa the Princess Royal) as their autumn residence, the Lodge saw visits from many members of the royal family, including the Queen herself, who laid the foundation stone in October 1895, as well as politicians, including Mr Gladstone, who were in attendance to the Queen at Balmoral. As such Mar Lodge is an important example of the wealth and patronage brought to Upper Deeside by the Royal family, and is at the centre of one of the best preserved Victorian hunting estates in the UK.
Alexander Marshall Mackenzie was an architect of national repute. A member of a major architectural dynasty, he began his career in the office of David Bryce. Although the majority of his work was undertaken in northern Scotland - among many other projects he was responsible for the rebuilding of Marischal College, Aberdeen - Royal patronage demonstrated his ability and fame; he was responsible for the design of Crathie Kirk in 1893 and was subsequently chosen by the Duke and Duchess of Fife for the new Mar Lodge.
Formerly a rustic verandah extended the length of the principal façade.
Previously listed with St Ninians Chapel (1972).
Other nearby listed buildings