This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.9918 / 56°59'30"N
Longitude: -3.4899 / 3°29'23"W
OS Eastings: 309572
OS Northings: 789945
OS Grid: NO095899
Mapcode National: GBR KBR7.G34
Mapcode Global: WH5L9.CJDC
Plus Code: 9C8RXGR6+P2
Entry Name: The Ballroom, Mar Lodge Estate
Listing Name: Mar Lodge Estate, the Ballroom
Listing Date: 14 November 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399288
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50769
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Crathie and Braemar
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Parish: Crathie And Braemar
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
1898. Rectangular ballroom still in use as function hall. Timber framed and weatherboarded with distinctive red-painted diamond lattice trellising. Cast iron bracers on stone plinths to side elevations. Gabled projecting wings to W and N. Central 2-leaf door to S elevation. Cast iron vents to E Elevation
Piended roof. 3 small ventilation gablets to E and W (side) elevations with cast iron finials, glazing lights to length of side elevations. Ventilation louvres to apex of N and S gables, decorative finials above.
INTERIOR: timber tongue and groove panelling throughout, with herringbone pattern above decorative carved timber cornice. Exposed timber roof structure with over 2000 stags skulls attached. Floor comprising tongue and groove boarded central section, carpeted to sides.
An unusual large timber ballroom with its distinctive lattice trellising in the estate colour. As well as its distinctive appearance the building is of also of interest because it retains an original Victorian 'ventilation system' and both the roof structure and the walls are supported by cast iron bracers on stone plinths, another distinctive feature. Originally this ballroom was constructed near to the second Mar Lodge at Corriemulzie and its appearance resembles the surviving buildings on that site. The ballroom was moved to its present site in 1898, appearing in its current location in the 2nd Edition OS. Internally graffiti has been identified from workmen who had constructed the original and were involved in moving it ('The Ballroom', p20) and sarking from the old ballroom was reused in the new. Internally the building remains virtually in its original state and contains over 2000 stags skulls, some of which date back to the 18th century, and many of which were shot by members of the Royal Family visiting Mar Lodge.
The building was to accommodate Ghillies balls, Ghillies were estate servants who acted as guides on hunting expeditions. a similar structure, although in cast-iron, was constructed at Balmoral. The social mores of the time demanded separate areas for staff to enjoy themselves, it was inconceivable that they should use the main house for such activities. The Ballroom therefore is a clear reflection of the segregation between master and servant which dominated the period.
Other nearby listed buildings