This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.9921 / 56°59'31"N
Longitude: -3.4885 / 3°29'18"W
OS Eastings: 309658
OS Northings: 789976
OS Grid: NO096899
Mapcode National: GBR KBR7.GQR
Mapcode Global: WH5L9.DJ14
Plus Code: 9C8RXGR6+RJ
Entry Name: St Ninian's Chapel (Scottish Episcopal Church), Mar Lodge Estate
Listing Name: Mar Lodge Estate, St Ninian's Chapel (Scottish Episcopal Church)
Listing Date: 22 November 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399287
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50768
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Crathie and Braemar
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Parish: Crathie And Braemar
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
A Marshall Mackenzie, circa 1895. Small, 3-bay aisleless, neo-Romanesque chapel. Squared and coursed rubble. Steeply pitched rounded arch entrance porch to SW with timber boarded 2-leaf door, decorative ironmongery. Stained glass (see notes). Small round-arched windows. Timber diamond lattice trellising to N elevation. Single lancet light to W gable elevation. Rounded light to E gable with Celtic cross finial above. Steeply pitched red tiled roof with ridge caps and ashlar coping to gable ends. Pair of triangular ventilators near ridge to N.
INTERIOR: stone floored sanctuary, timber boards to rest of church. Ornate altar furnishings including timber reredos with painted panels and altar hangings. Mahogany pews. Funerary monuments to Duke and Duchess of Fife in front of altar. Exposed hammerbeam roof.
In regular ecclesiastical use by congregation of St Margaret's Episcopal Church, Braemar
St Ninians is a fine example of a late nineteenth century Episcopal chapel by the celebrated architect Alexander Marshall Mackenzie, with historic links to the Royal Family, in particular Queen Victoria and her granddaughter Princess Louisa. Princess Louisa is buried here with her husband, the Duke of Fife, and other members of the family.
The Chapel features stained glass by Charles Eamer Kempe and Co. from London, who worked with many notable designers of the period including Sir J. Ninian Comper. The artist was John William Lisle, and each window bears is a single design. The East Window depicts the resurrection, the west St Michael and to the north and south elevations angels carrying different musical instruments
Alexander Marshall Mackenzie was an architect of national repute. A member of a major architectural dynasty, he began his career in the office of David Bryce. The majority of his work was undertaken in northern Scotland - among many other projects he was responsible for the rebuilding of Marischal College, Aberdeen. He was also responsible for the design of Crathie Kirk in 1893 and was subsequently chosen by the Duke and Duchess of Fife for the rebuilding of Mar Lodge itself.
Formerly the Chapel was listed together with Mar Lodge (1972).
Other nearby listed buildings