This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.601 / 55°36'3"N
Longitude: -4.5006 / 4°30'2"W
OS Eastings: 242551
OS Northings: 636993
OS Grid: NS425369
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.N3ZM
Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.VH11
Plus Code: 9C7QJF2X+CQ
Entry Name: West Shaw Street Bridge, Kilmarnock Water, West Shaw Street, Kilmarnock
Listing Name: West Shaw Street, Bridge
Listing Date: 1 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396286
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48794
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Grant, Richie & Co, 1888. Partially reconstructed Orr, Watt & Co (Motherwell), 1923. Flat, parallel girder bridge with squared piers; resting on diamond shaped ashlar cutwater. Painted cast-iron with cast-iron lamp stands.
N AND S ELEVATIONS: advanced girder base resting on outer coursed ashlar walls and central diamond shaped cutwater; 16 rectangular panels forming parapet, paired horizontal parallel bands of stylised Greek Key flanking large floriate scroll detail; riveted pilaster supports with squared cushion caps holding panels. To outer flanks and centre, larger square piers with chamfered arrises, projecting square neck cope and moulded pyramid caps; central piers supporting fluted lamp shafts terminating in ball and arm finials, modern street lighting now surmounting. 3 centrally placed commemorative plaques to inner side of N elevation. Contains tarmac road with footpath to flanks.
The bridge spans the Kilmarnock Water and links West Shaw Street to McLelland Drive. Grant, Richie and Co were a Kilmarnock based engineering firm who mainly specialised in locomotives (one of which is preserved in the Scottish Mining Museum in Prestongrange). The firm, like many others, made bridges. This is an unusual example as it is a road bridge, not a railway bridge. The bridge is one of the few remaining examples of their work. The bridge was partially reconstructed by Orr, Watt & Co of Motherwell in 1923. There are 3 plaques which commemorate the construction, opening and reconstruction of the bridge. To the centre of the bridge, there are two lamp standards. They had coach lights surmounting, but their shafts were retained and converted to modern lamp standards. Originally, the east and west end of the bridge had low curved wing walls with spearhead railings. The walls and railings to the east have since been lost due to flood protection work, but a section of angled railings survives to the north west of the bridge and to the south west in front of the red brick flood wall. At some point in the past, the bridge has been widened. The bridge is now painted white and picked out in blue, although a postcard from the early 20th century shows the bridge to be of one colour. The bridge is sited to the south east of Howard Park near the Safeway store.
Other nearby listed buildings