This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0553 / 56°3'19"N
Longitude: -3.6278 / 3°37'40"W
OS Eastings: 298722
OS Northings: 685909
OS Grid: NS987859
Mapcode National: GBR 1R.QDY4
Mapcode Global: WH5QW.72Q8
Plus Code: 9C8R394C+4V
Entry Name: Cunninghame House, Low Causeway, Culross
Listing Name: Culross, Low Causeway, Cunninghame House
Listing Date: 2 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396299
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48808
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: West Fife and Coastal Villages
Traditional County: Fife
1846. Rectangular-plan former Free Church. Porch to S. Tooled coursed stone; rubble to N; ashlar eaves course; quoins, window and door surrounds. Droved, chamfered window surrounds.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical elevation; central door; corniced, moulded doorpiece. Corniced bipartite window above; chamfered stone mullions; decorative surround to cill. Narrow ventilation slit above window. Tall flanking bipartite windows; chamfered stone mullion and upper transom. Decorative detail to lintel. Flanking pinnacles to wallhead. Bellcote to gable apex; corniced base; curvilinear top; bell.
S ELEVATION: 3 windows. Advanced porch to far left; central window. Door to right in right return.
W ELEVATION: tall central window. Narrow ventilation slit above. Advanced left quoin stone with carved cross inscription.
N ELEVATION: 4 regularly spaced windows.
9 lower panes, 6 upper panes to most windows. 20 lower, 8 upper panes to principal elevation windows. Pitched, slate roof. Raised skews; kneelered skewputts. Coped, chamfered gable apex stack to W. Pitched, slate porch roof; raised skews; kneelered skewputts; roll finial.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2001. Converted into 4 flats.
According to Cunningham in 'Romantic Culross', Mr Cunninghame of Balgownie inaugurated a scheme to build the church. The church was completed in 1846 and was fully sanctioned in 1871. It is depicted on the 1860 OS map. Although converted into flats, the exterior has been little altered. The adjacent Stephen Memorial Hall was built in 1883 and was used for Sunday school (listed separately). In 1873, St Kentigern's was bought for use as a manse (see separate list).
Other nearby listed buildings