This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0552 / 56°3'18"N
Longitude: -3.6276 / 3°37'39"W
OS Eastings: 298734
OS Northings: 685898
OS Grid: NS987858
Mapcode National: GBR 1R.QF0N
Mapcode Global: WH5QW.72TB
Plus Code: 9C8R394C+3X
Entry Name: The Haven, Low Causeway, Culross
Listing Name: Culross, Low Causeway, the Haven Including Garden Wall
Listing Date: 12 January 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396300
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48809
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: West Fife and Coastal Villages
Traditional County: Fife
Dated 1623. 2-storey and attic, rectangular-plan house with later (possibly 17-18th century) 2-storey addition to street front, creating an L-plan house. Painted ashlar margins. Pink coloured harling.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: advanced section; central door, moulded surround; window to left. 1st floor window above door to left. 1st floor stair window in right return. Squat piended dormer window to centre. Section set back to right; ground floor window of An Cala; small 1st floor window above. Narrow bulge of turnpike stair in angle; tiny diamond-shaped window within.
E ELEVATION: 1st floor window to left; tiny diamond-shaped window to right; small square attic window to left.
S ELEVATION: ground floor door into modern single storey conservatory to right; 2 ground floor windows to left. 1st floor door to left; external metal spiral staircase. 1st floor window to right. 2 1st floor catslide dormer windows breaking eaves.
W ELEVATION: attached to An Cala.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Timber boarded door. Pitched slate roof. Crowstepped gables to original house; inscribed stone below NW skewputt; 'ANNO 1623'. Coped gable apex stacks. Lower, steeper roof pitch of former adjacent building visible on W gable (now replaced by much lower An Cala).
INTERIOR: single room depth to house. Fireplace to ground floor, E wall. Arched openings to windows in S wall. Possible large fireplace in W wall; niche to right. Staircase to W of entrance door; corbelled ashlar stonework exposed to W, 1st floor (former external wall). Taller room at 1st floor; cornicing with roses. Timber panelled shutters to windows. Roll-moulded fireplace in W wall (probably inserted 1970). Narrow section to street frontage with tiny window. Arched alcove in NW wall to window; recess to left of fireplace (possible former doorway leading to adjacent house). Turnpike stair to N leads to attic floor; tiny window within stairway. 2 attic rooms; coved ceilings.
Tall garden rubble stone wall extends southwards from SE gable.
The adjacent later An Cala was incorporated into The Haven to make one house. In the 1970's the 2 were split up into separate dwellings. The 1st floor room is very different to the rest of the house and has undergone early 19th century remodelling; it has a taller ceiling and features such as cornicing and panelling. The current occupants found blue painted plaster with hair on the walls of this room. The turnpike stair retains its original stone treads which have been recently recased. The tiny diamond-shaped windows are interesting features, as is the retention of the original external stonework, now covered by the later street jamb. For brief history of Culross Burgh see Culross, The Cross, The Study.
Other nearby listed buildings