This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0567 / 56°3'24"N
Longitude: -3.6188 / 3°37'7"W
OS Eastings: 299288
OS Northings: 686056
OS Grid: NS992860
Mapcode National: GBR 1R.QGYQ
Mapcode Global: WH5QW.D105
Entry Name: Culross, Low Causeway, Pond Cottage, Pond and Walls
Listing Date: 2 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396301
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48814
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: West Fife and Coastal Villages
Traditional County: Fife
Mid 18th-early 19th century. Tall sandstone rubble boundary walls surround Pond Cottage and the pond to N (Low Causeway), E (Station Path), S and W; stepped in places. Grassy path lies between boundary wall and pond to E, S and W; tall hedge at N perimeter of pond and hedges in part to E, S and W. Stone embankment wall to pond. Gate and steps (in front of Pond Cottage) in centre of N hedge. Doorway to E in N boundary wall to Low Causeway; advanced dressed stone door surround to S; re-used stone at lintel carved with coat of arms and initials 'MEB', 'MC'; dated 1599.
Sir George Bruce exploited the potential of making salt in Culross and had a lucrative business in salt manufacture. During the late 16th/early 17th century there were numerous salt pans in Culross. He sold salt to England, Germany, and the Netherlands as well as within Scotland. Sir Robert Preston (1739-1834), who lived at Culross Abbey House converted what was probably a bucket pat or a reservoir which served the neighbouring salt pans, into a large salt water pond and built a small fishing cottage (Pond Cottage, formerly called Preston Cottage). Water comes in from the Forth through holes in the S wall. Preston was said to have kept turtles in the pond (Beveridge). The cottage has been altered and added to and is not part of the statutory list. The carved lintel relates to Edward Bruce who built Culross Abbey House and his wife Magdalen Clerk.
Other nearby listed buildings