This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.6199 / 56°37'11"N
Longitude: -3.8691 / 3°52'8"W
OS Eastings: 285406
OS Northings: 749121
OS Grid: NN854491
Mapcode National: GBR JCT6.VVW
Mapcode Global: WH4LQ.JVTZ
Entry Name: Taybridge Road, Rose Cottage Including Ancillary Building, Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 5 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396340
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48862
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Highland
Traditional County: Perthshire
Restored 1899, incorporating fabric of 1842 and 1869. 2-storey, 3-bay villa in Breadalbane Estate Tudor style. Harled with stone cills. Timber transoms and mullions.
W (TAYBRIDGE ROAD) ELEVATION: stepped elevation with broad gable to left with transomed tripartite to each floor; slightly set-back bay to centre with transomed bipartite to each floor and further set-back gabled bay to right with similar fenestration, window to 1st floor breaking eaves into dormerhead.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: broad advanced gable to left with transomed tripartite to each floor and narrow lights to returns at ground, small harled porch with panelled timber door and letterbox fanlight in re-entrant angle to right, bay to right with 1st floor window breaking eaves into dormerhead.
E ELEVATION: advanced gable to right with small window to right at ground and jettied 1st floor with modern window to centre and small window on return to left; further gable to left with single window to left at ground.
N ELEVATION: variety of elements to altered elevation including 3 gables to right and modern conservatory also to right.
Largely diamond-pattern glazing to upper lights over plate glass in casement windows; some timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates. Paired diamond-aligned ashlar stacks with polygonal cans. Overhanging eaves with decorative bargeboarding and finials.
INTERIOR: some decorative plasterwork and top-lit stair with coloured glass.
ANCILLARY BUILDING: rectangular-plan rubble former stable with segmental cart arch and boarded timber doors; lean-to bay to W and corrugated roof.
Rose Cottage is thought to be the oldest villa in Aberfeldy. The earliest building on site, 1842, was a shoemaker's stance, and is almost certainly incorporated into the 1869 villa, rebuilt by a customs and excise officer. By 1899 the building was feued to Alexander Campbell, grocer from Kingussie, who was required to spend ?700 restoring the property.
Other nearby listed buildings