This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.6197 / 56°37'10"N
Longitude: -3.8656 / 3°51'56"W
OS Eastings: 285619
OS Northings: 749091
OS Grid: NN856490
Mapcode National: GBR JCT6.XPT
Mapcode Global: WH4LQ.LWG5
Plus Code: 9C8RJ49M+VQ
Entry Name: Tourist Information Bureau, Former Congregational Church, Burnside Lane, Aberfeldy
Listing Name: The Square (Off), Former Congregational Church
Listing Date: 5 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396348
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48870
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Highland
Traditional County: Perthshire
Dated 1877; converted 1989, and 1999 by GAIA Architect of Aberfeldy. Gothic-detailed church with octagonal spire; 4-bay aisless nave; 3-stage tower and hall. Squared chlorite-slate rubble with contrasting sandstone ashlar dressings. Base and string courses. Hoodmoulds, raked cills and stone mullions; chamfered reveals to hall.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: broad gabled bay to left with 3 bipartite windows to 1st stage and large hoodmoulded raised-centre tripartite above, glazed trefoil in cross-finialled gablehead. Tower (see below) in bay to right and low gabled hall set-back to outer right with square-headed windows, narrow window to left and taller bipartite to centre under pointed-arch stone detail.
TOWER: engaged 1st stage with hoodmoulded, stop-chamfered doorway with modern door and plate glass fanlight to S, foundation stone (see Notes) close to ground at left, string course above giving way to 2nd stage with narrow light to S and E; reduced 3rd stage with tall hoodmoulded timber-louvered opening to each face, and splayed angles. Spire above with gabletted niche (probably former clock housing) to S, and decorative cast-iron weathervane.
W ELEVATION: 4 tall lancets grouped toward left, and 3 modern rooflights.
E (HALL) ELEVATION: broad gabled bay to right.
Leaded diamond-pattern glazing to narrow window at S; sympathetic replacement timber-framed glazing elsewhere. Grey slates. Ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts.
Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. The foundation stone is inscribed as follows, "This stone was laid by the Hon Arthur Kinnaird MP and The Revd John Kennedy DD 28th August 1877". Rev Kennedy, born in Aberfeldy, was the so-called non-conformist Bishop of Stepney, London. In 1988 the church was sold to the community for ?1 with the condition that it not be used for commercial gain. The initial conversion took place in 1989, with further work carried out in 1999 aided by Lottery funding. Now (2001) the converted spaces house the Perthshire Tourist Board, Perth College Adult Learning Centre and Locus Breadalbane Ltd.
Other nearby listed buildings