This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.6192 / 56°37'9"N
Longitude: -3.8665 / 3°51'59"W
OS Eastings: 285563
OS Northings: 749045
OS Grid: NN855490
Mapcode National: GBR JCT7.3LR
Mapcode Global: WH4LQ.LW1H
Plus Code: 9C8RJ49M+MC
Entry Name: 2, 4, 6 Bank Street, Aberfeldy
Listing Name: 2- 6 (Even Nos) Bank Street
Listing Date: 5 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396313
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48837
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Highland
Traditional County: Perthshire
E Simpson, Stirling, 1910. 2-storey with raised basement, 6-bay tenement and shops in Flemish renaissance style in irregular terrace to W and on ground falling steeply to N. Red sandstone ashlar and harl with ashlar dressings. Ground floor cornice and frieze, 1st floor cill course, eaves cornice. Pedimented windowheads, fluted pilasters and channelled pilaster strips, stone balustrade, corbels, stone transoms and mullions.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: shop to left of centre with outer granite pilasters, part-glazed timber door with plate glass fanlight to in-canted centre with mosaic-tiled step worded 'McKerchar & McNaughton', and timber-panelled soffit; flanking fixed display windows, that to left bipartite. 2 transomed tripartites to 1st floor each with pediment and moulded frieze with relief carved cartouche, that to left with 'AD' and that to right with '1910'; steeply-pitched M-gable above with decoratively-corbelled moulded shaft extending into cornice with crown- and ball-finialled gablehead, outer angles finialled. Bays to right of centre with larger (but similarly-detailed) shop at ground with modern in-canted door; 3 bays to 1st floor left with transomed bipartites, dividing and flanking channelled pilasters and surmounting stone balustrade, bay to outer right with transomed tripartite as above but with stepped keystone; gablehead also as above but lacking finial.
E (MONESS BURN) ELEVATION: gabled red sandstone bay to left with full-height 4-light canted window to each floor, that to raised basement with blank outer angles, that to ground transomed, and that to 1st floor with crenellation and semicircular-pediment, semicircular gablehead with elaborate monogrammed panel and flanking ball-finials. Set-back gabled bay angled to outer right with tall window to ground and 2 smaller windows above, re-entrant angle to centre with canted bay, tall window to 1st floor, deep eaves course and finialled polygonal roof, these 2 bays harled and all windows corniced.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: 4 bays to right with deep raised basement with variety of openings, ground and 1st floors with tripartite window to each bay, and further bay to outer left with opening at raised basement and stair windows above.
12-pane upper over plate glass lower sashes to canted windows at E, plate glass glazing elsewhere, all in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates and terracotta ridge tiles. Coped ashlar stacks with cans. Ashlar-coped skews with flat skewputts and stone finials. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: former McKerchar & McNaughton shop retaining fine interior with boarded timber walls and decorative plasterwork, T-plan top-lit staircase with decorative timber balusters and finialled, square newels. Adjacent shop (No 2) modern.
McKerchar & McNaughton also owned the nearby meal mill, now Aberfeldy Water Mill.
Other nearby listed buildings