This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9487 / 55°56'55"N
Longitude: -3.2509 / 3°15'3"W
OS Eastings: 321976
OS Northings: 673553
OS Grid: NT219735
Mapcode National: GBR 88H.Z2
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.1R61
Entry Name: 11 Kinellan Road, St Leonards Including Summerhouse
Listing Date: 18 September 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396364
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48891
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Corstorphine/Murrayfield
Traditional County: Midlothian
1867, with alterations and additions, Robert Lorimer, 1912. 2-storey asymmetrical gabled villa, 2 bays to E of 1867, 2 bays to W (extended to L-plan to rear), 1912. Squared and snecked bull-faced sandstone. Bracketed eaves. Stone skews and kneelered skewputts to gables.
S ELEVATION: entrance in recessed bay with rock-faced long and short quoins to outer right: timber-boarded door; blank heraldic panel with date (1867) above. Slightly advanced gabled bay with weathervane to centre with piend-roofed 2-storey canted window. Gableheaded windows breaking eaves to 3 other bays.
W ELEVATION: advanced gabled bay to right with diagonally-set chimney stalk, canted bay with shaped parapet to ground and modern window above. Gabled bay 2nd from left with modern conservatory adjoining.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: gable end of W extension to right. Modern flat-roofed garage adjoining at ground floor to centre. Round-arched window to stair at left.
INTERIOR: timber-panelled vestibule; timber handrail with turned balusters to stair. Timber panelling and marble chimneypieces to dining and drawing rooms.
SUMMERHOUSE: situated to W of house. 3-sided rubble building with slated (Lorimer specified 'old Forfarshire slates') mono-pitch roof and 2 windows with small leaded panes.
4-pane glazing to 1867 block, small-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to Lorimer addition; piend-roofed dormers to attic. Graded grey slates. Corniced apex, wallhead and ridge stacks.
In addition to Lorimer's drawings of 1912, plans in the NMRS by John Watherston show the original house and an extension in similar style by Watherston. Lorimer's extension was built for William R Macmillan to accommodate drawing room, new kitchen, day and night nurseries etc. Lorimer also added the kneelered skews to the gables of the original block. Dean of Guild plans show that the summerhouse was also designed by Lorimer.
Other nearby listed buildings