This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9502 / 55°57'0"N
Longitude: -3.2384 / 3°14'18"W
OS Eastings: 322764
OS Northings: 673706
OS Grid: NT227737
Mapcode National: GBR 8CG.JJ
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.7P5X
Plus Code: 9C7RXQ26+3M
Entry Name: 9 Succoth Gardens
Listing Date: 18 September 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396433
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48915
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Corstorphine/Murrayfield
Traditional County: Midlothian
T Duncan Rhind, circa 1900. Harled, rectangular-plan, Arts and Crafts red-tiled house. Overhanging eaves with bargeboards; dormers.
SE (STREET) ELEVATION: advanced, gabled bay at right; door with 2-pane fanlight above at left of advanced bay, flanked by band of windows extending to returns; tripartite window to 1st floor above; bipartite window to centre at ground; bipartite dormer with curvilinear head breaking eaves at centre; flat-roofed dormer set high to right above; angle turret at left with 2, narrow, widely-spaced windows at ground, centred window at 1st floor above.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: angle turret at right, fenestrated as above, with additional, centred, window at 1st floor of this elevation; window set to left of centre at ground; tall, tapered wallhead stack; advanced gabled bay to left, open at ground, forming porch with 4 wooden supports, balustered at top; centred bipartite window above; blank bay at outer left.
Timber-framed casement windows with small pane glazing pattern. Red tiles to roof; tall, harled, tapered wallhead stacks (with access ladders) at centre of each side elevation; tall terracotta cans; painted cast-iron rainwater goods.
By Sir Thomas Duncan Rhind (1871-1927). The design incorporates elements of Arts and Crafts detailing such as white harling and casement windows, combined with Glasgow Style saucer domed tower and tapering chimney stacks. Succouth Gardens were once part of the Murrayfield Estate; Succouth Avenue is on the site of an original approach avenue to the house. The name Succoth came from an owner of the house Sir George Campbell of Succoth.
Other nearby listed buildings