History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rosetta, Lodge and Gatepiers

A Category C Listed Building in Peebles, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6588 / 55°39'31"N

Longitude: -3.1992 / 3°11'57"W

OS Eastings: 324650

OS Northings: 641236

OS Grid: NT246412

Mapcode National: GBR 6330.ET

Mapcode Global: WH6V4.T1R7

Entry Name: Rosetta, Lodge and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 1 October 2002

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 396442

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48930

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Peebles

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: Tweeddale West

Traditional County: Peeblesshire

Find accommodation in
Peebles

Description

Early 19th century for Thomas Young. Single storey, 4-bay, L-plan entrance lodge (formerly rectangular) with advanced door surround and hoodmoulded windows. Coursed whinstone with dressed sandstone ashlar tabbed margins and long and short quoins.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: single storey, 4-bay comprising advanced architraved and hood-moulded door-surround to 2nd bay with stepped rectangular pediment breaking eaves; regularly placed hoodmoulded bays to rest of elevation. Remnants of early gatepier (possibly held pedestrian entrance) adjacent to angle on extreme left, matched by similar detail to return of adjacent gatepier (see below).

W & S ELEVATION: end wall with central stack to left; to right, recessed arm of L-plan concealed by bushes; S elevation formed by returns.

E ELEVATION: tripartite window with stone mullions, drip sill and hoodmould to right of elevation (remainder of elevation blind).

12 lying pane glazing within timber sash and case windows; some 6-pane flanking lights. Overhanging piended grey slate roof with swept eaves and exposed timber bracketing; replacement lead flashings and ridging to most; 2-pane cast-iron Carron light aligned with main door. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods with partially concealed gutters. Pair of square stacks, bridge linked on pedestal to centre of roof with wide moulded neck copes and mismatched cans; later single stack to W elevation of similar style.

INTERIOR: not seen, 2002.

GATEPIERS: pair of tall square ashlar gatepiers, rusticated to E and W elevations with moulded band below plain squared capital; left pier possibly re-sited nearer to lodge as left return shows remnants of lesser pier (similar to that on lodge) which may have held pedestrian entrance gate; pair now form wide principal entrance for caravans and cars.

Statement of Interest

Part of a B-Group with Rosetta, the Stables and Walled Garden. The estate stands to the north of Peebles on Rosetta Road. Set within wooded grounds, now a caravan park, the lodge flanks the only entrance to the house and grounds. Formerly, there were 3 lodges, this being the south one and the only one still standing. The middle lodge was sited almost in with the house and the north lodge was to the SW of the Standalane junction. In the 18th century, the site to the west of the road was known as Acrefield, and was owned by John Borrowman. Land to the south was owned by Francis Gilbert (Provost of Peebles) and called Acrefield Govan, as it once belonged to the Govans of Cardrona. John Robertson, a silversmith from Newcastle, bought both parcels of land in 1740 and renamed them "Acrefield". In 1807, he sold them to Thomas Young of Chapelhouse, East Lothian for ?3500. The new house, Rosetta, was erected for Young, a military surgeon and his new bride Violet Burns, the daughter of James Burns of Barns. Young had been on the Egyptian expedition led by Sir Ralph Abercromby who, after the capture of Alexandria in 1801, had secured the Rosetta Stone for Britain. A plaster copy of the stone is built into the entrance lobby. In 1823, Young improved the entrance to the house by acquiring part of the adjacent Elliot's Park land from Miss Ann Elliot in exchange for land to the west of the Rosetta estate. He died in 1836 and Trustees of the estate bought further land to the west of the Eddleston Water. The estate was sold in 1867 for ?9500 to Coutts Trotter of Melville Street, Edinburgh. The estate was then sold, in 1873, to the M'Gildowny family of Woodfold Park, Lancs. The house suffered fire damage in the later 20th century, although it has now been refurbished. The estate of Rosetta is in use as a caravan park and the gatepiers to the lodge were probably re-sited to gain admittance to the caravans that now use the site. Listed as a good survivor of the earlier rural estate, which has now been encompassed to the S by housing from the town of Peebles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.