This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1901 / 56°11'24"N
Longitude: -3.9646 / 3°57'52"W
OS Eastings: 278178
OS Northings: 701451
OS Grid: NN781014
Mapcode National: GBR 1B.FWW1
Mapcode Global: WH4NT.2PC0
Plus Code: 9C8R52RP+25
Entry Name: Leighton House, Haining, Dunblane
Listing Name: Haining, Leighton House, (Front Elevation Only)
Listing Date: 17 October 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396461
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48949
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunblane and Bridge of Allan
Traditional County: Perthshire
William Stirling, 1829. Restored elements of church building incorporated into later courtyard-plan church office complex. Squared and snecked yellow sandstone rubble with ashlar quoins and margins. Shouldred gable ends. Base course, cill height string course, coped skews, grey slates.
S (CATHEDRAL SQUARE) ELEVATION: broad gable end, cusped panel tracery to central semicircular-arched 5-light window. Shouldered gables, cupsed tracery blind arcaded panels below shoulders. Abutting adjacent building to left. Low coped wall with high courtyard wall behind both abutting to right and linking to free-standing former porch. Gabled porch with pointed-arch entrance to front and sides, stone cross finial to apex of gable. Clasped buttresses flanking street entrance. Broad single storey gable end abutting to right with large plate glass window to centre. Coped, low wall also continued to right of porch terminating in gablet capped corner pier.
Range of rebuilt and modern singe storey buildings to rear of street elevation arranged around central rectangular courtyard.
Property belonging to Scottish Churches Houses and currently used as meeting rooms. Originally an important church building by Wiilliam Stirling, however, Leighton Church was partially demolished in 1957. The facade and porch were restored and incorporated into a new structure by Honeyman, Jack and Robertson in the 1980s. The practice also restored the Leighton Library in the early 1990s (see separate listing). Though William Stirling (d.1838) was a native of Dunblane few of his works survive in the town and it is important that even this fragment of the church has been successfully retained within a modern structure. Stirling's own neo-Tudor mansion, Holmehill, has been demolished leaving only the Perth Road lodge (see separate listing). The former Church of Scotland manse on the High Street by Stirling was demolished in the 1960s with only the boundary wall and coach house retained (see separate listing).
Other nearby listed buildings