This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0642 / 56°3'51"N
Longitude: -4.3452 / 4°20'42"W
OS Eastings: 254089
OS Northings: 688188
OS Grid: NS540881
Mapcode National: GBR 0W.PV4S
Mapcode Global: WH3N2.7T4Z
Entry Name: Ballindalloch, South Lodge, Printers' Row, Including Gateway to West and Boundary Wall and Gateposts to South of Estate
Listing Date: 30 October 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396522
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49011
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Dated 1924. Single storey and attic; asymmetrical; lodge. Vernacular revival design with crowstepped gables with beaked skewputts and slightly projecting external chimney stacks; Renaissance pediments to 2 openings to W. Harled with sandstone ashlar dressings (those to E painted). Base course; eaves course; vertical margins at arrises. Architraved openings.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Pedimented entrance (dated '1924') to centre; 2-leaf boarded timber replacement door. Gabled projecting bay to left; mullioned bipartite to ground floor; window above. Window to each floor to right bay; that to attic pedimented dormer.
S ELEVATION: gabled projecting bay to left; mullioned bipartite to ground floor; window above. Entrance set back to right (obscured by late 20th century conservatory); replacement glazed door. Window above to right and one to far right of ground floor. Single storey lean-to adjoins to outer right.
N ELEVATION: gabled projecting bay to right; attic window at base of projecting chimney stack. Enlarged opening/late 20th century conservatory set back to ground floor to right; large window above. Single storey lean-to adjoins to outer left.
Mainly 9 and 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof. Tall wallhead stack to right return of projecting bay to S; gablehead stack to N; both coped; round cans.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
GATEWAY TO W AND GATEPOSTS AND BOUNDARY WALL TO S OF ESTATE: earlier 20th century entrance gateway to Ballindalloch estate to W of lodge; comprising 3 square-plan concrete gatepiers (that to E for pedestrian entrance); all panelled and corniced with stepped coping; gatepiers of identical design (probably earlier 19th century) to E (pedestrian gateway) and SW (carriage/cart entrance). Coursed sandstone rubble boundary wall along roadside in between; mainly with droved rounded coping.
B-Group with the Old Stables, Sundial, Walled Garden and N Lodge (see separate list descriptions). A well detailed earlier 20th century lodge. A smaller previous lodge (of which this could be a substantial remodelling) appears on the 1861 OS map. The Ballindalloch estate/house appears on Edgar's map (1745, published 1777). It later became the home of Robert Dunmore, who built a cotton mill in Balfron in 1790. In 1868 the original house was demolished and rebuilt. It was largely demolished in the late 1960's and only a small section now remains intact as 'Ballindalloch'.
Other nearby listed buildings