This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.5938 / 56°35'37"N
Longitude: -3.3413 / 3°20'28"W
OS Eastings: 317729
OS Northings: 745455
OS Grid: NO177454
Mapcode National: GBR V8.TMQ1
Mapcode Global: WH6PF.NJ2H
Plus Code: 9C8RHMV5+GF
Entry Name: Hill Primary School, Upper Allan Street, Blairgowrie
Listing Name: Upper Allan Street, Hill Primary School Including Ancillary Buildings,
Listing Date: 4 September 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397015
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49482
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Blairgowrie and Rattray
County: Perth and Kinross
Town: Blairgowrie And Rattray
Electoral Ward: Blairgowrie and Glens
Traditional County: Perthshire
1878; enlarged 1909. Single and 2-storey, 8-bay gothic-detailed school. Squared and snecked red sandstone rubble with contrasting ashlar dressings, some stugged. Base course. Roll-moulded doorways. Pointed-arch traceried and shoulder-arched windows. 2-stage sawtooth-coped buttresses. Hoodmoulds, some with label stops; relieving arches; raked cills; stone transoms and mullions; stop-chamfered arrises.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrically-fenestrated elevation with 8-light transomed windows to ground and to 2 centre bays at 1st floor, bipartites to remaining bays. Flagpole to centre flanked by gabled bays with centre and flanking buttresses, hoodmoulds framing relief-carved detail over shoulder-arched windows and panels in gableheads worded 'BUILT 1878' and 'ENLARGED 1909'. Lower gabled outer bays, gable to right with paired hoodmoulded traceried tripartite windows and hoodmoulded louvered triangular opening in gablehead; gable to left with 6-light transomed window with moulded windowheads and raised centre hoodmould incorporating floreate detail, triangular opening as above in gablehead. Inner returns each with crenellated porch with modern door and flanking narrow lights, and further window on inner return.
NE ELEVATION: buttressed centre gable with decoratively-detailed transomed window and triangular opening, flanking smaller gables with 4-light transomed windows, single window to outer left bay and bipartite to right.
SW ELEVATION: mirrors NE elevation.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: symmetrically-fenestrated elevation with variety of elements including 3 2-storey gables to centre and tall single storey gables with transomed windows to outer bays. Later low projections at ground.
Multi-pane glazing patterns to top- and bottom-hopper timber windows. Grey slates. Stepped ashlar-coped skews with gablet skewputts. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers; decorative cast-iron finials and air vents.
INTERIOR: plain cornices, panelled and part-glazed timber doors; some boarded dadoes and cast-iron radiators. Centre hall and flanking top-lit stone dog-leg staircases with ironwork balusters and timber handrails; small mezzanines.
WAR MEMORIAL: renovated 2000. Marble obelisk WWI war memorial dedicated 'TO THE MEMORY OF THE OLD BOYS WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR' surmounting polygonal plinth, stepped square base and basin for water fountain.
ANCILLARY BUILDINGS: gabled piend-and-platform-roofed ancillary with similar detailing to main building, and smaller piend-roofed ancillary with horizontal rooflights.
BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS AND GATES: semicircular-coped rubble boundary walls, some low with inset cast-iron railings and ball-finialled cast-iron gatepiers and gates.
The school was opened by Mr Alan Macpherson, chairman of the school board, on 19th August, 1879. It was built, at a cost of £6000, on glebe land belonging to the established church.
Other nearby listed buildings