This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.5921 / 56°35'31"N
Longitude: -3.3373 / 3°20'14"W
OS Eastings: 317975
OS Northings: 745264
OS Grid: NO179452
Mapcode National: GBR V8.TNNF
Mapcode Global: WH6PF.QK0S
Plus Code: 9C8RHMR7+R3
Entry Name: 14 Wellmeadow, Blairgowrie
Listing Name: 14 Wellmeadow
Listing Date: 4 September 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397019
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49486
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Blairgowrie and Rattray
County: Perth and Kinross
Town: Blairgowrie And Rattray
Electoral Ward: Blairgowrie and Glens
Traditional County: Perthshire
1937-9. 2-storey and basement, 3-bay, Art Deco style former bank building in irregular terrace on corner site. Ashlar, some channelled, and reinforced concrete. Deep marble base course, band and 1st floor cill courses, eaves cornice and parapet.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Centre bay at ground with broad fixed display window, flanking bays each with marble-margined doorway, steps up to deep-set 2-leaf part-glazed timber door and deep plate glass fanlight; band course above giving way to centre bay with stone balustrade and set-back bay with 2 windows, further windows to flanking bays; projecting cornice with animal masks over outer bays and parapet with decorative ironwork balustrade to set-back centre bay, flag pole and 2nd Empire roof behind.
SE (MILL STREET) ELEVATION: single bay, canted elevation on ground falling to E, with deep base course abutting cill of window at ground floor and further window above.
NW ELEVATION: single bay elevation projecting from neighbouring terraced building, with door in re-entrant angle at ground and single window at 1st floor.
Plate glass glazing to margined Crittal windows at 1st floor, and 2-pane horizontal glazing pattern to metal window at ground. Grey slates.
INTERIOR: moulded cornices (obscured by lowered ceiling at former banking hall); some marble floor retained; concrete staircase.
Earlier shops on this site were demolished to make way for the National Commercial Bank. Building began in 1937 when the safe (still in situ) was lowered into the basement and the concrete construction raised around it. The bank opened in 1939 and continued in business until the 1970s. After some setbacks the building was taken over by S L Hill, florist, and continues in the same ownership today (2002).
Other nearby listed buildings