This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9074 / 55°54'26"N
Longitude: -3.2586 / 3°15'30"W
OS Eastings: 321414
OS Northings: 668968
OS Grid: NT214689
Mapcode National: GBR 87Y.FV
Mapcode Global: WH6SR.XSG6
Plus Code: 9C7RWP4R+XH
Entry Name: Bank, 64 Bridge Road, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 64 Bridge Road, the Royal Bank of Scotland
Listing Date: 19 December 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397107
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49553
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Colinton/Fairmilehead
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1908, altered circa 1923. Single-storey (2-storeys to N), flat-roofed bank (former shop) with circa 1923 plain entablature to W supported on free-standing paired Doric columns in antis. Painted render with sandstone ashlar dressings to S and W elevations only. Basecourse, entablature to S and W with projecting cornice and blocking course. Entrance to S with roll-moulded doorpiece and projecting canopy above. Window to left with flanking pilasters; 2-bay section to right with simpler entablature and blocking course. West elevation with paired columns in antis flanking central window and supporting projecting entablature. Regular fenestration to N.
Occupies a very prominent position at the acute corner junction between Bridge Road and Spylaw Street. The columned W elevation is an important part of the streetscape. This site was previously occupied by a small cottage, until about 1908, when a row of shops was built here. The end shop was converted to a bank in about 1923, and the columns were added at this time. At some point the bank has been extended into the neighbouring shop, and this part of the S elevation is considerably plainer. The windows originally had border-glazing, but this has been replaced. This building originally opened as a branch of the British Linen Bank, but by the 1950s it was owned by the Commercial Bank of Scotland.
Other nearby listed buildings