This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9072 / 55°54'25"N
Longitude: -3.2586 / 3°15'30"W
OS Eastings: 321416
OS Northings: 668947
OS Grid: NT214689
Mapcode National: GBR 87Y.FX
Mapcode Global: WH6SR.XSGB
Plus Code: 9C7RWP4R+VH
Entry Name: 21, 23 Bridge Road, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 23 and 24 Bridge Road with Raised Pavement and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 19 November 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397105
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49551
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Colinton/Fairmilehead
Traditional County: Midlothian
1879. 2 storey, 3-bay detached house with bracketed eaves, bargeboarded dormers, and former shop at ground floor. Snecked rubble with stugged ashlar dressings. Long and short quoins. Stop-chamfered corners to all openings. Central 2-leaf timber panelled door with brass door knobs in shouldered surround. Large flanking shop windows in shouldered openings with central cast-iron column glazing bar. Elliptical-arched windows above breaking eaves with decorative barge-boarded dormerheads. Slightly tapered gablehead stacks.
4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to upper floor; plate glass lights at ground. Plain bargeboards to gables. Coped stacks with yellow clay cans. Graded grey slate. Cast-iron rainwater goods with some decorative brackets to downpipes.
RAISED PAVEMENT AND BOUNDARY WALL: raised pavement in front of house with plain cast-iron railings and stone steps at each end. Battered, ashlar-coped, random rubble boundary wall to side.
A well detailed house with its shop windows retained in their original condition. Built for Mr Meldrum, the butcher. The business later passed on to Harry Blyth, who lived at 25 Bridge Road (the house behind this one), and kept his poultry live, in cages, in front of the shop. During the mid-twentieth century, this building was the village Post Office.
Other nearby listed buildings