This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9059 / 55°54'21"N
Longitude: -3.2587 / 3°15'31"W
OS Eastings: 321404
OS Northings: 668807
OS Grid: NT214688
Mapcode National: GBR 87Z.DC
Mapcode Global: WH6SR.XTD9
Entry Name: 31 Woodhall Road, Colthwaite, with Boundary Wall and Gates
Listing Date: 19 November 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397142
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49575
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Colinton/Fairmilehead
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1897 with 1909 roof extension by Thomas Hardie, builder. 2-storey and attic square-plan piend-roofed house with deep eaves and flat-roofed roof extension, piend-roofed scullery outshot to NW, canted bay window to SE, bipartite corner windows at first floor to all corners except E; bracketed porch and scrolled wallhead stacks to SW. Squared, snecked, bull-faced sandstone with red sandstone ashlar dressings. Corniced cill course to 1st floor. Long and short quoins to corners, windows, doors and chimneys.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: timber panelled front door in stop-chamfered roll-moulded architrave, with bipartite fanlight above lintel; deep timber canopy on scrolled brackets above. Regular fenestration in 3 bays. Large bipartite flat-roofed dormer between scrolled stacks to centre of attic.
OTHER ELEVATIONS: irregularly fenestrated. Large canted bay with leaded lights to SE elevation; transomed and mullioned staircase window with leaded lights to NE elevation; single-storey scullery outshot at left of NW elevation with timber boarded side-door to SW return.
Predominantly sash and case windows with 6-pane glazing in upper sashes and plate glass in lower sashes. Coped and corniced wallhead stacks with red clay cans. Graded grey slate. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: tiled lobby; half-glazed timber panelled lobby door with side-lights and coloured leaded glass. Original cornices to principal rooms. Timber staircase with turned balusters. Coloured leaded glass staircase window. Original fireplace in dining room with bolection-moulded timber chimneypiece and cast-iron grate. Corner windows to 3 upstairs bedrooms with small drawers below interior window cills.
Formerly called The Chase. Despite the rather awkward roof extension, this is an interesting house. The windows at the corners of the 1st floor are particularly noteworthy, as they anticipate the corner windows found in Art Deco houses of the 1930s. It is possible that the house is reinforced at the corners with steel or iron joists, but the sturdiness of the sandstone piers suggests that they are load-bearing.
Number 31 stands two doors down from Allermuir, the house that Sir Robert Rowand Anderson built for himself. Anderson purchased and developed a number of feus along Woodhall Road and Barnshot road, and it is possible that he was responsible for the building of this house and the neighbouring one, 29 Woodhall Road. On stylistic grounds, it is unlikely that Anderson actually designed these 2 houses himself ? he probably gave the work to one of his former pupils or assistants.
Other nearby listed buildings