This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.9824 / 56°58'56"N
Longitude: -2.2349 / 2°14'5"W
OS Eastings: 385819
OS Northings: 787932
OS Grid: NO858879
Mapcode National: GBR XH.SK1J
Mapcode Global: WH9RF.MRYM
Plus Code: 9C8VXQJ8+W2
Entry Name: Coach House, Ury House
Listing Name: Ury Estate, Baille Na Choile Including Terrace Wall and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 20 January 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397193
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49608
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Stonehaven and Lower Deeside
Traditional County: Kincardineshire
Probably John Baird of Glasgow, 1855; converted to dwelling circa 1980. Single and 2-storey, 5-bay, rectangular-plan Tudor-detailed former coach house with shaped centre gable and polygonal ogee-roofed turreted buttresses, pedimented stone dormerheads, and centre courtyard. Squared and coursed pink granite with contrasting stugged grey ashlar dressings. Moulded eaves course. Hoodmoulded pointed-arch, and segmental-arch openings. Stugged voussoirs; concave-moulded arrises and raked cills.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical 2-storey range. Substantial, 3-stage, ogee-roofed and finialled (that to right missing) buttresses flanking slightly advanced centre bay with broad hoodmoulded cart arch infilled with part-glazed timber door and single hoodmoulded window in stone-finialled gablehead above with kneelers. Regularly-fenestrated flanking bays with glazed arrowslits flanking centre at ground, and 1st floor windows breaking eaves into dormerheads.
W ELEVATION: gabled elevation with door to left and window to right at ground, further window to centre above. Door and window openings to single storey bays set back at outer left.
E ELEVATION: gabled elevation with cart arch at ground infilled with part-glazed timber door and single window above. Altered single storey bays set back to outer right.
N ELEVATION: 2-storey elevation with flanking single storey wings.
COURTYARD ELEVATIONS: variety of elements including single pointed-arch cart entrance to stone-finialled gable at centre of S range and 3 segmental arches to N range (all infilled). Plate glass glazing in replacement timber sash and case windows. Large grey slates. Ashlar stacks with cans, some polygonal; ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts; cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
TERRACE WALL AND BOUNDARY WALL: low flat-coped terrace wall and semicircular-coped coursed rubble boundary wall, both to W.
The coach house faces south toward the main entrance of Ury House (listed separately) and reflects the slender ogee-roofed polygonal columns at its porte cochere, as well as its pedimented dormerheads, hence the John Baird attribution. Formerly known as 'Urie', the ancient estate was sold, after the death of Captain Robert Barclay-Allardice (1779-1854), to the Baird family. The 1855 buildings were erected for Alexander Baird, 'ironmaster at Gartsherrie'.
Other nearby listed buildings