This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7515 / 55°45'5"N
Longitude: -4.6316 / 4°37'53"W
OS Eastings: 234932
OS Northings: 654038
OS Grid: NS349540
Mapcode National: GBR 39.BQ4Y
Mapcode Global: WH2NB.TPMP
Entry Name: 32 and 34 Main Street, Blackwood the Butchers'
Listing Date: 31 March 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397343
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49740
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilbirnie and Beith
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Circa 1840, altered 1910 (see Notes). 3 bays, 2 storeys and attic with butchers' shop to ground floor. Timber 2-leaf panelled door (to shop) with 2-pane hopper-type fanlight; large central shop window with small window to R; timber flush panelled door to L (to flat) with 2-pane letterbox fanlight above. Continuous shop fascia between ground and 1st floors, with moulded cornice above. 3 windows to 1st floor; 2 later piended dormers to attic. Rendered stone with stop-chamfered openings to ground; painted coursed droved stone with raised and rendered margins above; eaves course and moulded eaves cornice.
Timber sash and case windows, 4-pane to 1st floor (dormers unsympathetically modernised 2002); plate glass shopfront. Grey slate roof; flat skews and skewputs.
INTERIOR: relatively plain but original 1910 butchers' shop interior. White tiles to ¾ height with double band of blue-black tiles; tiled platform at base of walls with white fitted marble worktops on chrome supports; freestanding butcher's block (probably later); small metal-edged shelves; fitted chrome display rails to shop window; curved ceiling track with fitments for hanging carcasses; hatch to butcher's kitchen in flat above; dentilled cornice.
A long established family business, probably the 'oldest continuous business in Beith' (Reid p92), the Blackwoods have been butchers in Beith since 1775 and the family continues to live in the flat above the shop. The premises were remodelled at ground floor level in 1910 and there is photographic evidence (Reid p29), prior to this date, of a pend where the door to the shop is now. Blackwood's horses, which were apparently very fine, were stabled through the pend in the Wee Close at the rear of the building. Deliveries by horse and cart were made in Beith and the surrounding villages (Reid p93).
The 1910 remodelling included a re-fit of the shop's interior. The fixtures, including the marble worktops, tiled walls and chrome fittings, survive intact and are still in use today (2003). The carcass track enabled meat to be moved around the shop and to the butcher's kitchen above, through the hatch in the ceiling.
Other nearby listed buildings