This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.863 / 55°51'46"N
Longitude: -4.0312 / 4°1'52"W
OS Eastings: 272975
OS Northings: 665174
OS Grid: NS729651
Mapcode National: GBR 009N.14
Mapcode Global: WH4QB.1WNR
Plus Code: 9C7QVX79+5G
Entry Name: Heritage Way, Summerlee Gatehouse Including Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 11 June 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397514
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49870
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Coatbridge North
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Later 19th century. 2-storey, 2-bay symmetrical gatehouse (now offices) with single storey 2-bay projection to E. Stugged stone heavily painted. 1st floor slightly jettied out on corbel course. Base course, projecting cills, eaves band, segmental lintels to front. Dormers breaking eaves. Single storey extension to rear.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: entrance with segmental-arched 2-pane fanlight at ground to centre, bracketed slab hood above entrance Windows in bays to left and right, gabled dormer-heads with corbelled copes. Single storey bays to left with chamfered stone-mullioned bipartite window and single window (formerly door).
S (SIDE) ELEVATION: pitched roof canted triangular bay with 2-light windows. Blind gun loop decoration to gablehead.
N ELEVATION: two-light window to projection; blind gun-loop to gable.
Timber sash and case windows with 4-pane glazing. Grey slates, stone skews; moulded skewputts. Gablehead stacks with circular clay cans. Cast iron rainwater goods.
BOUNDARY WALL: semicircular coped rubble wall running S.
Former gate lodge to the Summerlee Ironworks and one of the only buildings from the ironworks to survive intact. Some of the furnaces and the furnace bank have survived and the core of the site is now a scheduled monument. The gate lodge, therefore, is crucial to the industrial heritage of the Coatbridge area. The extension to the N was at one time used as a time office and weighbridge. Restored by the Summerlee Heritage Trust in the early 1990s to form part of the museum. Summerlee Ironworks was set up by Wilson and Co. in 1836. By 1868 there were 8 furnaces in operation and the works was among the biggest in the area, controlling many of the local collieries. The Ironworks closed in 1930 and the majority of the industrial buildings were demolished soon afterwards. The remains of the Ironworks are now a scheduled ancient monument and can be seen at Summerlee Heritage Park.
Other nearby listed buildings