This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8622 / 55°51'43"N
Longitude: -4.0299 / 4°1'47"W
OS Eastings: 273054
OS Northings: 665087
OS Grid: NS730650
Mapcode National: GBR 009N.BD
Mapcode Global: WH4QB.2X8B
Plus Code: 9C7QVX6C+V2
Entry Name: Coatbridge Cross Railway Bridge, Monkland Canal
Listing Name: Railway Bridge over Coatbridge Cross
Listing Date: 11 June 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397516
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49872
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Coatbridge North
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
1870-72 wrought iron parallel lattice truss railway bridge. Flat lattice members with decorative bosses over rivets. Wrought iron deck. Ashlar sandstone abutments and piers with long and short quoins.
NORTH SECTION (OVER WEST CANAL STREET) Wrought iron parallel plate girders with cast iron baluster panels decorated with ovals and circles
NOTES: Along with the other railway bridge adjacent to Main Street (see separate listing), this bridge forms a gateway to the town centre and is one of the defining elements of the urban and industrial landscape of Coatbridge. Railways were particularly
important to the coal and iron industries around Coatbridge, which came to be known as 'The Crewe of the North'.
This bridge replaced a dangerous level crossing over the Monkland canal. The nearby Whitelaw Fountain was erected in honour of Alexander Whitelaw for arranging the elevation of the railway from the road. The Monkland and Kirkintilloch railway was built to transport coal to the Forth and Clyde Canal and opened in 1826. In the 1865 amalgamation this became part of the North British Railway.
The Northern section of the bridge over West Canal Street may have been rebuilt as the street was widened in 1898 to allow access to the new Caledonian Railway Station. It appears that a new Coatbridge station was built immediately to the East of the North end of the bridge around the same time as the bridge.
The goods station was to the South of Bank St. An early photograph show substantial stone terminals at the ends of the main trusses. These were removed at some time during the 20th century.
Other nearby listed buildings