This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8623 / 55°51'44"N
Longitude: -4.0287 / 4°1'43"W
OS Eastings: 273126
OS Northings: 665101
OS Grid: NS731651
Mapcode National: GBR 009N.LC
Mapcode Global: WH4QB.2XT7
Plus Code: 9C7QVX6C+WG
Entry Name: Whitelaw Memorial Fountain, Main Street
Listing Name: Main Street, Whitelaw Memorial Fountain
Listing Date: 29 June 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398573
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50508
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Coatbridge North
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
The Whitelaw Fountain is a good example of a later 19th century ornate, classically detailed drinking fountain with finely carved stone detailing. Hugh Haugh MacLure (died 1892) was an architect and civil engineer working from Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow who predominantly worked on Railways and road bridges and also wrote 'The Sewage of Glasgow and Neighbourhood'. The fountain is dedicated to Alexander Whitelaw, industrialist and partner in the local firm of Gartsherrie Iron, who in 1872 organised the relocation of the railway line away from the main street to create a civic space. The original location of the fountain was in front of the Royal Hotel at the point of the removed railway approximately 100 yards to the west of where it stands today; it was apparently moved due to incidents with increasing traffic. The fountain was moved to its current position some time between 1966 and 1971 (as shown on the Ordnance Survey map of 1971). Inscriptions to the granite panels read: 'This fountain stands on the site of the level crossing of the Monkland and Kirkintilloch railway which was removed 1872' and 'Created by subscription in honour of Alexander Whitelaw Esq (MP?) In recognition of the many valuable services rendered by him in the community. Inaugurated 10th August 1875.' When fully working the fountain had metal drinking cups attached to each basin (now infilled) on a chain with constantly flowing drinking water for the public.
Listed building record updated in 2020.
Other nearby listed buildings