This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8527 / 55°51'9"N
Longitude: -4.2564 / 4°15'22"W
OS Eastings: 258848
OS Northings: 664464
OS Grid: NS588644
Mapcode National: GBR 0LP.8Q
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.L5C3
Plus Code: 9C7QVP3V+3F
Entry Name: Gorbals Public Library, 45 South Portland Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 45 South Portland Street and 100 Norfolk Street, Deaf Connections Centre (Former Gorbals Public Library)
Listing Date: 27 August 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397698
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49979
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Southside Central
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Office of Public Works, circa 1930. 2-storey and basement 6-1-7 bay near square plan classical former Gorbals Library on corner site. Coursed red sandstone ashlar to principal elevations, red brick to other elevations. Round-arched doorpiece, eaves cornice, parapet. Openings set in recesses, bays predominantly articulated by stylised pilasters. Bays 1 to 4 and 10-14 advanced.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: (at corner of South Portland Street and Norfolk Street) near-central single bay with steps oversailing basement. Wide entrance with semicircular fanlight above set in round-arched doorpiece. Above, bipartite windows to 1st and 2nd floors. Flanked by 2-bay 4-storey sections. To left, 4-bay section. To right, 5-bay section.
E ELEVATION: to left, 2-storey and basement 5-bay section. To right, advanced blank section, to far right, 5-storey single bay section.
Modern glazing. Modern slightly pitched metal roof.
INTERIOR: altered. Original staircase with metal railing intact.
A rare survivor in an area which was comprehensively redeveloped in the 20th century. Strikingly set on a corner site, it ceased being a library in 1986. Deaf Connections moved to the building in 1988-9 and is descended from the Royal Institute for the Deaf and Dumb founded in 1827. Plaques from the John Ross Memorial Church for the Deaf at 158 West Regent Street (now converted to offices, see separate list description) are in the theatre which is now in the building.
Other nearby listed buildings