This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6281 / 55°37'41"N
Longitude: -2.8278 / 2°49'40"W
OS Eastings: 347971
OS Northings: 637483
OS Grid: NT479374
Mapcode National: GBR 83PC.K9
Mapcode Global: WH7WG.JSMS
Plus Code: 9C7VJ5HC+7V
Entry Name: Edinburgh Road, Buckholmburn House with Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 14 November 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398187
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50229
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Galashiels and District
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
Circa 1865. 2-storey and attic (3-storey and attic to rear), 3-bay, rectangular-plan house. Distinctive triple-gabled front and rear elevations on a stepped plan. Squared whin to front elevation, whin rubble to sides and rear. Sandstone ashlar dressings throughout. Prominent site on a rise above Gala Water and immediately adjacent to the Edinburgh Road. Oriented NW-SE. Large canted ashlar bays to NW and SW.
NE (FRONT) ELEVATION: stepped elevation of 3 gables. Central pilastered entrance. Regular fenestration. Corbelled stack to right gable.
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: stepped elevation of 3 gables. Regular fenestration. Large full-height canted bay to left gable. Timber lean-to extension to lower right.
NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: double gable. Wide ashlar full-height canted bay to left.
Plate glass, 4-pane and multi-pane timber sash and case windows throughout. Green slate roof with ashlar skews and corbelled skewputts. Ashlar gablehead stacks, clay cans.
INTERIOR: many original decorative details survive. Plaster cornices. Timber stair with cast iron balusters. Stained glass stair window. Mosaic tiled porch. Moulded stone fireplaces. Stone shelving in basement. Timber joinery throughout. Herring-bone oak flooring.
BOUNDARY WALL: low rubble boundary wall to road with ashlar coping. Timber fence in place of railings. High rubble retaining wall to the NW.
Buckholmburn House is situated on a very prominent site on the Edinburgh Road, a significant landmark on the way into Galashiels. The house, as well as being architecturally interesting for its form and unusual plan, is notable as a mill-owners house, related to the nearby Buckholm Mill (demolished). Many of the Mill-owners houses of the mid 19th century were located near to the mills, before the series of ostentatious houses was built on the Abbotsford Road. Buckholmburn House appears to have been one of the last such houses.
Buckholm Mill was acquired in 1850 by the Brown family. The house was built for Henry Brown, but changed hands after the family moved to Netherby on the Abbotsford Road (separately listed).
The large canted bays on the rear and side elevation appear to be additions of the late 19th century.
The formal entrance to the house was circa 60m to the SE, with a range of greenhouses built on to the boundary wall along the road.
The house was used in the late 20th century as a guest-house and is currently under renovation (2005).
Other nearby listed buildings