History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Circular Tank, Meigle Hill

A Category C Listed Building in Galashiels, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6209 / 55°37'15"N

Longitude: -2.8276 / 2°49'39"W

OS Eastings: 347974

OS Northings: 636682

OS Grid: NT479366

Mapcode National: GBR 83PF.MW

Mapcode Global: WH7WG.JZQ9

Plus Code: 9C7VJ5CC+9W

Entry Name: Circular Tank, Meigle Hill

Listing Name: Meigle Hill, Reservoir and Circular Tank

Listing Date: 14 November 2006

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 399244

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50709

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Galashiels

County: Scottish Borders

Town: Galashiels

Electoral Ward: Galashiels and District

Traditional County: Selkirkshire

Find accommodation in
Galashiels

Description

Late 19th century single storey, 4-bay, rectangular-plan water storage reservoir sited on ground steeply falling to N and E. Small square hatches to each opening flanked by arrow slits; timber louvred oculi to gable apexes; rectangular pitched-roof timber ridge ventilator with louvres and bracketed eaves. Squared, coursed and snecked bull faced stone with smooth margins. Circular tank set into ground to W now infilled.

Timber boarded doors with cast-iron strap hinges to hatches; horizontal timber louvers to gable openings; grey slates in diminishing courses; stone skews; curved skewputts, block finials at gable apexes.

INTERIOR: Access not possible at time of survey (2005).

Statement of Interest

This is a typical reservoir design of the period executed in high quality stonework and sited in a prominent location over the town, visible from a great distance.

In 1868, when the Town Council took office, Galashiels was dependent on various wells within the town for their water supply; these were polluted and blamed for an increased death rate. In 1876 an Act was passed which authorised the construction of a water supply system fed by the Caddon Water, with contracts being undertaken the following year for the construction of reservoirs and the introduction of piped water into the town. The Meigle Hill reservoir is thought to be contemporary to these developments in the introduction of a piped water supply.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.