This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2441 / 56°14'38"N
Longitude: -4.2141 / 4°12'50"W
OS Eastings: 262891
OS Northings: 707934
OS Grid: NN628079
Mapcode National: GBR 11.BF8R
Mapcode Global: WH4NH.7BK1
Plus Code: 9C8Q6QVP+J9
Entry Name: 10 Ancaster Square (Formerly Lesser St. Kessog's Church Hall)
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398354
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50365
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Well preserved T-shaped single-storey former church hall dated 1878 with intact original interior, standing on the exact footprint of the former Callander Parochial School. The Parochial School moved sites in the late 1870s, occupying new premises on Craigard Road (now demolished). Although records quote the school being demolished and the hall being built afresh (A Thompson, Callander through the Ages) it is more than likely that it was refashioned with earlier fabric incorporated into the present building. The Hall is also listed in regard to its setting within Ancaster Square, being at the core of the 18th century planned town and reflecting its subsequent development. It now houses a delicatessen (2004).
The principal (NW) elevation is asymmetrical with a gabled wing to the centre, a date stone is set close to the eaves. The door is located to the re-entrant angle leading to a vestibule giving access to the main hall. To the right of the wing is a centred door giving access to another vestibule leading to the main hall and 2 rooms set off containing a W.C. and modern kitchen. A small window integrated with the sandstone doorpiece gives light to the W.C.
The end (NE) gable is dominated by a large, centred round-headed window. The (SW) elevation is adjoined to 8 Ancaster Square (see separate listing).
The rear (SE) elevation has the appearance of containing pre-1878 fabric. The asymmetrical arrangement of the windows reflects the internal organisation of the building; the 2 to the far left lighting the modern kitchen, with the single window to the centre-right lighting the main hall.
The Hall has its original layout of timber-lined rooms with the main chamber possessing an exposed timber stained hammer beam roof. There are timber panelled doors throughout with original door furniture. To the main hall there is a small tiled hearth, the associated stack probably situated to the gabled wing no longer survives.
Random rubble 'pudding stone' with chamfered sandstone dressings to window openings and doors. Timber sash and case multi-paned windows. Bargeboards to apex of NE gable supporting slightly splayed and overhanging upper section of roof. Grey slates to pitched roof.
When the adjacent St. Kessog's Church, now Rob Roy and Trossachs Vistor Centre (see separate listing) ceased being used as a place of worship the hall became redundant, as did a larger church hall situated further N known as The Greater Hall. The Greater Hall was demolished and the site is now occupied by flats and a carpark. The has been sensitively converted for commercial use and retains many original features. For further historical information about Ancaster Square please refer to 1 Ancaster Square/54 Main Street list description.
Other nearby listed buildings