This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1433 / 56°8'36"N
Longitude: -4.3816 / 4°22'53"W
OS Eastings: 252125
OS Northings: 697070
OS Grid: NS521970
Mapcode National: GBR 0T.JZM0
Mapcode Global: WH3MN.NVQ9
Plus Code: 9C8Q4JV9+89
Entry Name: Gatepiers And Gate To Nw, Culbowie Cottage Including Boundary Wall, Main Street, Gartmore
Listing Name: Gartmore, Main Street, Culbowie Cottage Including Boundary Wall, Gatepiers and Gate to Nw
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398409
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50409
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Port Of Menteith
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Parish: Port Of Menteith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
According to the present owner, Culbowie Cottage dates back to later/late 18th century. Traditional single storey, 3-bay whitewashed cottage with gabled extension to rear, creating an L-plan. Set slightly back from the Main Street of Gartmore, the cottage sits behind a low rubble wall with chamfered ashlar copes and decorative painted cast-iron gatepiers and gate. The cottage is part of the planned estate village of Gartmore, which was laid out by Nicol Graham and his descendents in the 18th century. Despite probably being thatched originally, Culbowie Cottage is a good example of a relatively unaltered cottage in the planned village with good streetscape value.
Near-symmetrical principal (NW) elevation with central door flanked by single windows. The rear (SE) elevation is composed of a single storey gabled extension to the left, which is shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1859-64), and a small 20th century addition to the right. The NE (side) elevation is blank, while the SW (side) elevation has 2 single windows to main body of the cottage and rear gabled extension. The appearance of the stonework on the SW gable suggests that Culbowie Cottage was once attached to another single storey cottage to the SW. This is confirmed by the 1st edition OS map, which shows a cottage adjoining Culbowie to the SW, in the plot now occupied by Terreran (not currently listed, 2004) which was built in the later 19th century.
The low boundary wall that bounds the NW (street) elevation of the cottage was once topped with railings, of which only the stumps remain.
The interior of the cottage has been modernised. It does, however, retain its original rectangular plan with a central hall with bedroom to left and sitting room to right. Timber working shutters to bedroom, cornicing to hall.
Whitewashed random rubble with stone margins to openings. Modern timber panelled front door. Timber sash and case windows to front elevation, various modern windows and small rooflights to rear. Graded grey slates to pitched roof with single brick coped gablehead stack with circular clay can to SW gable.
According to the present owner, the deeds only date back to 1948, when the ownership of the cottage passed from the Cayzers of Gartmore House to Charles Murray Bell. Until the Gartmore Estate was broken up in the mid 20th century, many of the cottages in Gartmore were tied to the Estate.
Other nearby listed buildings