This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.2331 / 57°13'59"N
Longitude: -3.0341 / 3°2'2"W
OS Eastings: 337674
OS Northings: 816293
OS Grid: NJ376162
Mapcode National: GBR L9WL.SYY
Mapcode Global: WH7MM.CGGC
Entry Name: Auld Kirk (Former Free Church) Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 14 November 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398905
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50663
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
1861. Simple rectangular-plan former Free Church with 4-bay aisless nave, gable bellcote, pointed arch openings, and louvered oculus. Sited in small group with former manse, ancillary incorporating stable, coach house and Sunday school, and walled garden. Ashlar with harled sides and rear. Voussoirs and chamfered reveals.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical gabled elevation. Boarded timber door to centre with louvered oculus above, tall lancets in flanking bays and stone bellcote in gablehead.
E AND W ELEVATIONS: each with 4 tall lancets.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: gabled elevation with 2 tall lancets, small pitch-roofed porch at outer left and low timber structure at right.
Leaded diamond pattern glazing. Grey slates. Polygonal can to squat gablehead stack at N and ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts.
BOUNDARY WALLS: coped rubble boundary walls with coped, square-section ashlar end pier at SE.
Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. Group with Auld Kirk House (former Free Church manse). The Free Church group represents a fine, virtually unaltered example of a small charge which became the focal point of religious life in the Glen owing to its more convenient siting than the Parish Church. Locating a site for the new Free Church was not easy, and the Free Church Annals record that 'After great difficulty and much discouragement a site was obtained at Balnacraig in 1861, and a church and manse were erected'. The Third Statistical Account recognises that 'As there are no other denominations, the church is part and parcel of the life of the community', and continues 'There is, ' , a genuine regard for the church'. Decommissioned in 1983, the building was sold to the current (2006) owner a decade later. The Sunday school was held in the single storey building situated to the rear of the manse.
Other nearby listed buildings