This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6118 / 55°36'42"N
Longitude: -2.8018 / 2°48'6"W
OS Eastings: 349591
OS Northings: 635650
OS Grid: NT495356
Mapcode National: GBR 83WK.64
Mapcode Global: WH7WN.X6ZQ
Plus Code: 9C7VJ56X+P7
Entry Name: 9 Abbotsford Road
Listing Name: 9 Abbotsford Road, Wakefield Bank Including Glasshouse and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 14 November 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399170
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50653
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Galashiels and District
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
Circa 1845 with later alterations; Extensions by Robert Hall and Co, 1884. 2-storey with basement, 3-bay, symmetrical, square-plan corner-sited plain classical villa with slightly later projecting gabled tripartite bay to SE, and later (1884) 2-storey service extensions to rear with pedimented breaking eaves dormers. L-plan glasshouses to E corner. Canted and corniced stone entrance porch with narrow shouldered windows to advanced central pedimented bay; prominent stacks; pitched roofed timber glasshouses on stone bases with lantern clerestories and decorative thistle detail cast-iron crestings to ridge; stone steps to basement. Squared whinstone rubble, droved sandstone quoins and stop-chamfered sandstone openings; whinstone and sandstone rubble to extensions. Early 20th century infilled section to rear with tripartite galleried window.
Timber sash and case windows; uPVC glazing to upper floors; panelled timber doors. Piended and pitched slate roofs; prominent tall corniced ashlar wallhead stacks with tall ventilated clay cans; cast-iron downpipes.
INTERIOR: panelled timber entrance porch with inner glazed screen and geometric tiled floor. Drawing room to E with highly decorative plasterwork, margined wall panels, high picture rail and working timber shutters. Carved decorative mahogany doors to principal rooms split vertically with oak facings to hallway. Timber stair with carved latticework balustrade. Lift to service extensions. Porcelain sinks with leaded bench worktop and flagstone floor to basement.
BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble walls with rounded copes. Square chamfered stone pyramidal capped gatepiers with heavy ornate cast-iron gate.
Wakefield Bank is a good example of a mid 19th century symmetrical classical villa. It is prominently sited on Abbotsford Road and is one of the earliest villas to be developed on this road which is lined with large manufacturers and mill owners villas.
The 1858 town plan of Galashiels shows the building as square-plan, before the addition of the projecting bay to the E, and with the large squared garden ground layed out to the W which is still in the same format today (2006). The 1884 additions to the building are in a different style layed out to the rear, but contribute well to the overall composition.
Wakefield Bank was built for Robert Sanderson who had built Gala Mill (Wakefield Mill) in 1826. The foundations for the now collapsing glasshouse to the side are said to have been provided by waste materials from the mill. The town Provost, John Hayward, was a relative of Sanderson and resided at Wakefield Bank towards the later 19th century. An early example of a lift was installed in the property, still in-situ, but not in use.
1884 plans showing extensions by Robert Hall and Co in possession of owner.
Other nearby listed buildings