History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Netherby, 60 Abbotsford Road, Galashiels

A Category B Listed Building in Galashiels, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6037 / 55°36'13"N

Longitude: -2.7913 / 2°47'28"W

OS Eastings: 350238

OS Northings: 634740

OS Grid: NT502347

Mapcode National: GBR 83YN.G1

Mapcode Global: WH7WP.3D1Z

Plus Code: 9C7VJ635+FF

Entry Name: Netherby, 60 Abbotsford Road, Galashiels

Listing Name: 58, 60 Abbotsford Road, Netherby, Including Lodge, Walled Garden, Boundary Walls and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 25 October 1990

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 373405

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32004

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Galashiels

County: Scottish Borders

Town: Galashiels

Electoral Ward: Galashiels and District

Traditional County: Selkirkshire

Find accommodation in
Galashiels

Description

James Campbell Walker, mid 19th century (before 1868). 2-storey with upper breaking eaves, irregular-plan, Jacobean house consisting of 5-bay principal block linked to 3-bay former stables by single-storey block. Squared buff sandstone with ashlar dressings. Prominently sited in a large sloping garden. Base course, stepped corbel-table at first floor level, eaves band course, balustraded parapet. Mullioned and transomed windows.

PRINCIPAL BLOCK: symmetrical. Advanced gabled central bay; entrance through Romanesque triple-arcade of red granite columns. Corbelled out oriel above. Balustraded canted 3-light windows to either side. Dormers with finialed concave pediments. Octagonal brick annexe of c1980 to outer right. Octagonal spired turret to N elevation.

STABLE BLOCK: symmetrical. Advanced central bay with stepped corbel-table. Central gable flanked by prominent decorative stacks.

Predominantly plate-glass and 4-pane sash and case windows. Purple slate roof. Corniced ridge and wall-head stacks.

INTERIOR: many fine interior features survive. Elaborate plasterwork, heavy Jacobean stair with decorative newels and bronze lights. Late 19th century stained glass stair window. Timber and cast iron fireplaces. Parquet flooring.

LODGE: c1930. Simple symmetrical 3-bay single-storey lodge with pyramidal slate roof and central chimney. Squared buff sandstone, square projecting window-bays.

WALLED GARDEN, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS: rectangular walled garden to W of house with curved corners: rubble walls with timber panels between upright piers. Brick wall to NW with lean-to greenhouse (Mackenzie and Moncur). Brick sheds. Raised terrace to front of house, rubble steps to upper garden. Rubble boundary walls to sides and rear. Low wall to Abbotsford Road. Finialed square-plan ashlar gatepiers.

Statement of Interest

Netherby is one of an important group of mill owners houses in this part of Galashiels. This house is of particular interest for its unusual design and quality of detail and execution. The interior features, which have survived the conversion to a care home, contain several features of particular interest and the presence of the (later) lodge and walled garden are notable. The addition of a lodge in the 1930s is most unusual. These houses are closely related to the growth of the textile industry in Galashiels and reflect the success of the industry at its height in the later 19th century.

From the 1860s mill owners began to move away from houses closer to the mills and commenced the building of a series of ostentatious houses along Abbotsford Road. A number of these houses are built as miniature country estates, with all of the requisite parts, including, in this case, a walled garden.

Netherby is thought to have been built for William Roberts, a partner in Victoria Mill.

James Campbell Walker (1821-1888) worked for William Burn and David Bryce before setting up his own practice by 1858. Initially, he worked on a number of poorhouses, including that in Galashiels (1859), slowly moving into larger houses, such as Langlee, Galashiels (1860).

Initially, the principal and service blocks were separate. The house is known to have been extended c1875 and this probably involved the current single-storey block with a large greenhouse to the front. This was later linked into the stable. The large projection to the rear of the main block may also date to c1875. There have been further accretions through the 20th century.

Netherby was used as an Eventide home for much of the later 20th century, before being re-converted as a single dwelling in recent years (2005). Use as a home involved the conversion of the stable block to accommodation.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.