This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.6161 / 55°36'58"N
Longitude: -2.8092 / 2°48'33"W
OS Eastings: 349130
OS Northings: 636134
OS Grid: NT491361
Mapcode National: GBR 83TH.ML
Mapcode Global: WH7WN.T3GF
Plus Code: 9C7VJ58R+F8
Entry Name: Including Railings And Mill Lade., Round Tree Bridge And Commemorative Pillars, Bank Street Brae
Listing Name: Bank Street Brae, Round Tree Bridge and Commemorative Pillars, Including Railings and Sction of Mill Lade
Listing Date: 14 November 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399181
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50660
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Galashiels and District
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
Later 19th century bridge over mill lade incorporating pair of commemorative red sandstone pillars dated 1907 (restored in 2000). Roughly stugged coursed red sandstone to inner face of bridge parapets; rock faced ashlar to outer face over string course; rock faced voussoirs with side rybats to rubble faced brick arch over mill lade below; rounded copes. Decorative cast-iron access hatch to NW wall by T.McLaren & Son, Galashiels.
Squared banded rusticated columns with ornate floral corniced capitals and carved panels with inscriptions depicting the image of a fox under a plum tree.
Round Tree Bridge with its commemorative pillars make a significant contribution to the streetscape of the centre of Galashiels, linking the earlier town centre with the large area of workers housing to the S which developed in the later 19th C. The bridge was built to open up and improve communication between the town centre and the areas of housing developing to the S. The pillars themselves are of good quality carving, erected to demonstrate the civic pride in the redevelopment of the gardens of the houses of Bank Street to form the public gardens in 1907. There are remnants of the tall iron lamp stand to SE pillar.
Carving to SE Pillar reads: ROUND TREE BRIDGE, These pillars were erected in 1907 by public subscription to commemorate Bank Street Improvement and to record the public spirit of the proprietors in gifting the ground. M. Rutherford. Provost. Carving to NW Pillar: ROUND TREE BRIDGE, These pillars were restored in 2000 to commemorate the 400th anniversary of Galashiels becoming a "Burgh of Barony" in 1599.