This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6256 / 55°37'32"N
Longitude: -2.8236 / 2°49'24"W
OS Eastings: 348238
OS Northings: 637196
OS Grid: NT482371
Mapcode National: GBR 83QD.H6
Mapcode Global: WH7WG.LVNQ
Entry Name: Edinburgh Road, Bristol Mill
Listing Date: 14 November 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399209
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50683
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Galashiels and District
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
1885. Mill complex with later additions, situated on the outskirts of Galashiels adjacent to Edinburgh Road. Consisting of an 8-bay main mill block with a 10 bay addition, boiler and engine house and long range to SW along Buckholm Mill Brae including former scouring shed, gate lodge and storage sheds.
Predominantly whin rubble with sandstone ashlar and brick dressings, tie plates for trussed or compound beams. Later brick buildings.
SPINNING MILL: 3-storey and attic 8 by 2 bay. Regular fenestration of segmental-headed windows. Piended M-roof (dormers for headstocks added 1920-21). 10-bay irregular-plan multi-roofed brick extension of c1920 to the NW. 2 parallel buildings adjoining to SE gable: 2-storey gabled boiler and engine block with arched ground floor openings and single-storey former scouring shed with curved iron roof.
GATE LODGE: dated 1890. Wedge-plan 2-storey block. Curved 2-bay elevation to S. Irregular fenestration to NW and NE Elevation.
SOUTHWEST RANGE: single-storey corrugated iron former waste house and assorted storage (access not gained, 2005).
INTERIORS: access to the courtyard and the interiors of the buildings was not possible at the time of the resurvey (2005). In 1990 3 rows of cast-iron columns spigot through trussed timber cross-beams in 1885 mill, steel frame in 1920 extension. Wire mesh floor in cast-iron grid, like a kiln in the boiler house.
RAILINGS: wrought iron railings to Edinburgh road.
Bristol Mill is among the best surviving mills in Galashiels, consisting of a considerable complex of industrial buildings of different dates illustrating the development of manufacturing over time and situated on a highly prominent site at the entrance to the town, acting as an introduction to the character of the town.
The importance of the wool manufacturing trade to Galashiels can not be overestimated, as this industry was the sole reason for its expansion and prosperity in the 19th century. Wool manufacture has largely subsided, but the remaining buildings are important monuments to the industry.
Bristol Spinning Mill was erected in 1885 by Roberts, Dobson and Company. In 1895 it became the property of William Roberts and was used to supply yarn to Victoria Mill until 1905. In 1921 the mill was taken over by Wright and Jobson, who built the large extension on the NW end of the mill, re-equipping it with mules still in use until the mill closed in c1998 and the machinery was removed. The machine layouts are held in the National archives of Scotland, West Register House.
Although there were water-powered fulling mills in Galashiels by the 16th century, the modern Textile Industry began in the 18th century. At this time, however, Galashiels had a relatively minor part in the Borders textile industry, although the establishment of the manufacturers corporation in 1777 was to play an important role. Through the 19th century the industry expanded rapidly. The arrival of the railway in 1849 allowed for easy access to raw materials and coal, which facilitated the increased use of steam power by the 1860s. The late 1860s and early 1870s were the peak of prosperity for Galashiels, which benefited greatly from a number of foreign conflicts. By this time there were over 20 large-scale producers of cloth, as well as a number of allied industries. However, Galashiels had an over-reliance on foreign trade, which led to the slow decline of the industry through the late 19th and early 20th century.
Other nearby listed buildings