This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6167 / 55°36'59"N
Longitude: -2.8114 / 2°48'41"W
OS Eastings: 348992
OS Northings: 636195
OS Grid: NT489361
Mapcode National: GBR 83TH.4D
Mapcode Global: WH7WN.S3F0
Plus Code: 9C7VJ58Q+MC
Entry Name: Boundary Walls And Railings, Former Schoolhouse, 67 Gala Park
Listing Name: 67 Gala Park, Former Schoolhouse, Boundary Walls and Railings
Listing Date: 14 November 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399214
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50688
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Galashiels and District
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
John Starforth, 1874-5. Extension to rear by J and J Hall 1894-5. 2-storey, 3-bay asymmetrical T-plan gothic style former schoolhouse set back from the street on raised ground. Advanced double-gabled bays to right; equilateral arched centre doorway with recessed shouldered arched opening; pointed arched openings to ground with recessed tripartite mullioned and transomed windows. Shaped hoodmould to 1st floor tripartite window. Half-hipped roofs with bracketed barge boarded overhanging eaves. Coursed rubble; rock faced sandstone quoins and margins with smooth chamfers. Moulded 1st floor string course.
Round headed 3-pane timber sash and case windows; boarded timber door; graduated slates; corniced staged ashlar stacks; cast-iron rainwater goods; decorative hoppers.
INTERIOR: good decorative scheme survives in tact with panelled etched glass entrance screen; 6-panel chamfered doors; plain chamfered fire surrounds; double dog-leg stair with cast iron balusters and fine interior window detailing.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: low rubble coped walls to front with integral central entrance steps. Pyramidal ashlar pillars to side linked to taller stone walls to side and rear. Cast-iron gate linking to adjacent playground.
The schoolhouse was built in conjunction with the adjacent Burgh Primary School (see separate listing), with which it still shares a boundary wall and open dialogue over the playground area. The building demonstrates fine gothic decorative detailing, well executed stonework and distinctive roofscape. The timber sash and case windows and their interior detailing are of particularly high quality demonstrating the general attention to detail throughout the property.
In 1895 a considerable addition was made to the school house by J and J Hall, the detailing of which is so well executed it is difficult to distinguish between the two phases from the exterior.
In 1970 the Schoolhouse was sold by the council to the resident Headmaster who still lives in the property today (2006).
Other nearby listed buildings