This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.924 / 55°55'26"N
Longitude: -3.1641 / 3°9'50"W
OS Eastings: 327355
OS Northings: 670711
OS Grid: NT273707
Mapcode National: GBR 8VR.LX
Mapcode Global: WH6ST.CCJG
Plus Code: 9C7RWRFP+H9
Entry Name: 1 Clapper Lane
Listing Name: Nether Liberton, 1 Clapper Lane, Clapperfield
Listing Date: 6 February 2007
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399323
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50794
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Southside/Newington
Traditional County: Midlothian
Stuart Renton. 1959 with later extensions, 1964 and 1974. Single storey roughly U-plan house comprising flat roofed entrance bay flanked by flat roofed garage to N and monopitch-roofed main block to S, around courtyard. 1964 single storey extension to E, 1974 2-storey extension in angle behind garage. White painted brick and varnished timber weatherboarding. Leaded roof.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: centre block comprsing glazed door to right of timber boarded screen facing courtyard. Sloping monopitch roof to S block; deeply overhanging eaves over near continuous glazing to S elevation. 3 large windows below timber boarded cornice to E elevation meeting rise in ground. Later square-plan 2-storey addition to N. Fenestration comprising large rectangular windows with timber surrounds, clerestory windows following roofline and sloping glazed panels below boarded timber panels.
INTERIOR: highly distinctive interior, based on modernist open-plan design with notable Scandinavian influences; wealth of exposed timber, including ceilings, boarded timber to doors and intergated storage units, contrasting with white brick. Series of full length and clerestory windows. Notable features also include white brick full height chimney breast, pivotting door to study, Swedish mosaic to bathroom and suspended storage units to bedrooms. Original door furniture retained throughout.
Clapperfield is one of the earliest examples of a Scottish house based on moderinist principles. Its long and low design and the contrast between white machined brick and boarded timber give a strong horizontal emphasis.
The innovative use of space and light is a particular feature and is most notable through the use of the open plan layout, an early example of this use of space, and the large glazed panels and full height and clerestory windows. The overhanging eaves and extensive glazing of the S elevation allows for low lying sun to penetrate deep into the house in the winter, whilst the projecting eaves give shade from the higher summer sun. Such design features are intrinsic to Renton's design philosophy for the house, which was his own home.
An important aspect of the design of the house from the outset was that Renton intended that the house could evolve and it has been extended twice. Each extension is designed to have its own character, but to be in keeping with the original design of the house through the use of the same materials. The house compares well with - and is similar to - 'Avisfield' by Morris and Steadman, (1955-57), which is believed to be the first modern-movement house in Scotland, but has been significantly altered. As Clapperfield dates from 1959 it is also a very early example of this type.
Stuart Renton was founding partner of Reiach and Hall Architects and was senior partner from 1982-1991. His major works include the New Club, Edinburgh (with Alan Reiach), 1969 (see separate listing); St Enoch Centre, Glasgow (jointly with GMW), 1988 and the Midlothian Council HQ Building, 1991. He was also tutor and later chair of the governors at Edinburgh College of Art, where he had trained as an architect (1946-1952).
Other nearby listed buildings