This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.923 / 55°55'22"N
Longitude: -3.1645 / 3°9'52"W
OS Eastings: 327323
OS Northings: 670604
OS Grid: NT273706
Mapcode National: GBR 8VS.H8
Mapcode Global: WH6ST.CD96
Plus Code: 9C7RWRFP+65
Entry Name: Inch Dovecot, Gilmerton Road, Edinburgh
Listing Name: Inch Doocot, Gilmerton Road, Edinburgh
Listing Date: 14 July 1966
Last Amended: 11 August 2016
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 405965
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB28140
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Southside/Newington
Traditional County: Midlothian
The interior was seen in 2015. There is a concrete floor and a timber roof and over 2000 stone nesting boxes extending from floor to ceiling on all sides of each chamber.
This rare, early 17th century doocot (dovecot, or pigeon house) is the largest remaining doocot in Edinburgh. It retains many of the characteristics of the classic lectern type doocot and is remarkable for the large numbers of nesting boxes still in situ. 17th century examples of surviving doocots are rare, the majority of surviving examples date from the 18th century onwards.
A N Robertson in his article Dovecots in and around Edinburgh, notes that the Inch doocot was built in the seventeeth century. James Winram, Keeper of the Great Seal of Scotland bought the estate in 1617 and it is likely that the doocot dates to his ownership. The panel to the south wall would have likely contained a coat-of-arms. The size of the doocot indicates the significant wealth of the owner and the two chambers in the doocot would serve as both security and also would also mean that the birds were disturbed less.
The earliest surviving doocots or pigeon-houses date from the 16th century. Doocots provided shelter, protection from vermin and nesting facilities for pigeons. These distinctive structures, found principally on monastic establishments and estates with large households, provided a welcome and easily caught source of meat, particularly in the winter months, while the accumulated manure was a rich fertiliser for the land. They are an important building type as they tell us much about our agricultural and domestic history and they are often prominent landscape features. They are most common in arable areas which could provide sufficient food for the pigeons and are therefore more prevalent in the east of Scotland. Doocots largely ceased to be built after the mid-19th century when the need for them diminished, although a few decorative examples were constructed in the Edwardian period.
The early doocots were in a circular, or beehive design, and this was superseded by the lectern plan as seen here. So named on account of its characteristic sloping mono-pitch roof, this shape was first introduced in the late 16th century and became the dominant form of doocot in the 17th and 18th centuries. The shape allowed more nesting chambers to be accommodated and the lean to roof faced south so that the birds could sit in the sun, whilst being protected from the north wind by the high back wall. The design is very uncommon outside of Scotland. The rat course prevented rats and other predators from accessing the flight holes and also served as a preening ledge for the birds.
Statutory address and listed building record revised in 2016. Previously listed as 'Gilmerton Road, Inch Dovecot'.
Other nearby listed buildings