This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1504 / 57°9'1"N
Longitude: -2.0916 / 2°5'29"W
OS Eastings: 394557
OS Northings: 806616
OS Grid: NJ945066
Mapcode National: GBR SDC.R9
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.VJ6S
Plus Code: 9C9V5W25+59
Entry Name: Including Boundary Wall, (Former Frederick Street School), Frederick Street Business Centre, Frederick Street
Listing Name: Frederick Street, Frederick Street Business Centre, (Former Frederick Street School), Including Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 27 July 2007
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399592
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50944
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
1905. 3-storey (with double-height ground floor), 12-bay symmetrical Classical former school with roof-top playground and pair of distinctive parapetted and domed canted-bay stair towers rising above roof level. Band courses, eaves cornice. Grey granite ashlar with Aberdeen bonding, rock-faced to ground, rubble to rear. Doric pilasters rising from 1st storey separate bays. High granite parapet with large railed openings, with a pair of pedimented sections to outer bays to S (principle elevation).
Predominantly 3, 4 and 5 pane replacement non-traditional windows. 9-pane, circular windows to 3rd storey of stair towers. Gable stacks. Flat roof.
BOUNDARY WALL: to S. Low, Aberdeen bond, coped wall with 2 pairs of square-plan ashlar gatepiers to left and right with shallow pyramidal caps.
INTERIOR: original layout partially extant. Corridors to 2 upper floors with former classrooms off (some altered). Some timber doorframes. Pair of dog-leg staircases with iron balusters and timber banister. Some simple cornicing.
This former school is a particularly prominent building in this area of Aberdeen. The domed polygonal stair towers and the roof-top playground with its granite parapet with iron railings are distinctive and interesting features which add significantly to the streetscape and skyline of the area.
The School was built in 1905 as a charity school under the direction of Dr Andrew Bell to replace an earlier school in the same location.
Rooftop playgrounds were an ingenious way of providing play space for children in built up areas and this is one of two thought to remain (2007) in the city of Aberdeen.
Currently in use as a business centre (2007).
Other nearby listed buildings