This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1455 / 57°8'43"N
Longitude: -2.0961 / 2°5'45"W
OS Eastings: 394285
OS Northings: 806073
OS Grid: NJ942060
Mapcode National: GBR SCR.F2
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.SN2J
Plus Code: 9C9V4WW3+6H
Entry Name: 52A Market Street And 2 Guild Street
Listing Name: 52a Market Street and 2 Guild Street
Listing Date: 27 July 2007
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399603
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50952
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Late 19th century. 4-storey and attic 3x3-bay corner tenement building with distinctive polygonal timber attic belvedere to corner bay and near intact openings to public house to ground. Grey granite ashlar. Base course, cill courses, string courses, eaves cornice. Ionic pilasters separate decorative key-stoned segmental-arched openings to ground, some with cast-iron railings. Large central pedimented wallhead dormers to S and E with coped stacks above.
Deep granite canopy over opening to ground at corner. Some canted bay windows to S elevation (Guild Street), those to 2nd storey with decorative parapets.
Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows, some replacement to upper storeys, plate glass to ground. Grey slates. Tall, ridged wallhead stack to W.
This is a distinctive and well-detailed tenement building which makes a significant contribution to the streetscape. Situated at the junction of 2 major roads, and directly across from the harbour, the domed belvedere is a striking element of the building and is positioned to look directly out over the harbour to the sea. The building is also remarkable for the retention of its original ground floor openings. Photographic evidence may suggest that the building was a Temperance Hotel in the 1920s.
Market Street was laid out in 1840 by Archibald Simpson, who had designed many of the classical buildings in the expanding nineteenth century Aberdeen. With John Smith, he was responsible for much of the essential classical character of Aberdeen city. Aberdeen expanded greatly during the nineteenth century, especially in trade reliant on the Harbour, and this street was built to provide easier access from Union Street to the Harbour. It also cleared a notorious slum area of the city called Putachieside. It took its name from a covered indoor market, designed by Archibald Simpson in 1842, but which subsequently burnt down in 1882. Rebuilt in 1884, the market was replaced by a British Home Stores extension in 1971.
Other nearby listed buildings