This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1459 / 57°8'45"N
Longitude: -2.0952 / 2°5'42"W
OS Eastings: 394336
OS Northings: 806115
OS Grid: NJ943061
Mapcode National: GBR SCW.07
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.SNG7
Plus Code: 9C9V4WW3+9W
Entry Name: Trinity House, 1-7 Trinity Quay, Aberdeen
Listing Name: Trinity Quay, 1-7 (Inclusive Nos) Trinity Buildings, Formerly Duthie's Warehouse
Listing Date: 15 October 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356015
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20832
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Late 19th century. Substantial 4-storey and attic, 9-bay warehouse with shops and offices to ground floor occupying prominent site over looking harbour. Grey granite ashlar to near-symmetrical principal SE elevation with coursed granite to sides and rear. Segmental-arched openings to ground floor, second floor and central bay; full-height pilasters flanking; dividing band courses at 2nd and 3rd storeys. Pair of pedimented wallhead gables to attic with pair of round-arched windows set in gableheads. Rounded corner bay at far left returns to SW elevation comprising 3-gables with irregular openings; joins 2-storey building to far left. Symmetrical NW (rear) elevation; 7-bay; gabled 5-storey central bay; ground floor openings blocked.
Predominantly 4-pane sash and case windows with curved glazing to corner bay; pair of piended roof dormers between attic gables and further dormers to rear; grey slate; multi-pitched roof; beaked skewputts; corniced gablehead stacks with moulded octagonal cans; cast-iron rainwater goods.
Warehouse buildings were critical to the effective functioning of Aberdeen's harbour. The building at 1-7 Trinity Quay reflects a significant part of Aberdeen's industrial and social history. It contributes much to the character of the streetscape with its distinctive double gabled principal elevation and restained Classical detailing, typical of Classical Aberdeen. The curved corner glazing, segmental openings and pilasters are of some quality and show that due respect and attention to detail was taken with warehouse architecture, reflecting the important role of warehousing to the city's prosperity. Converted to flats, the Rubislaw granite at lower two floors has been cleaned. Commercial signage remains at SW elevation for Robert Duthie and Sons Ltd. The Duthie family owned one of Aberdeen's most successful shipbuilding firms between 1815 and 1907.
Other nearby listed buildings