This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.0484 / 55°2'54"N
Longitude: -3.5976 / 3°35'51"W
OS Eastings: 298027
OS Northings: 573821
OS Grid: NX980738
Mapcode National: GBR 3B92.X3
Mapcode Global: WH5WQ.QC2P
Plus Code: 9C7R2CX2+9X
Entry Name: Gatepiers And Gates Along Bankend Road And Glencaple Road, Railings, Boundary Walls, The Crichton
Listing Name: The Crichton, Boundary Walls, Railings, Gatepiers and Gates Along Bankend Road and Glencaple Road
Listing Date: 10 October 2007
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399738
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50999
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Nith
Traditional County: Dumfriesshire
Circa 1885-1895. 2 long ranges of high cast-iron railings on snecked sandstone boundary / retaining walls along the two roads that enclose the Crichton estate to the N and S. Simple square-plan railings with double cross-rail at top forming decorative border in-filled with scrolled sections. Scrolled supporting brackets at regular intervals.
BANKEND ROAD INCLUDING GATEPIERS AT CHURCH GATE AND EASTERBROOKE HALL: range of railings from entrance by Campbell House to Church gate. Curved sweep of railings at Church gate terminated with gothic sandstone gatepiers with steep pyramidal, gableted finials. Railings extend just beyond Brownhall Upper Lodge (listed separately with its gatepiers). Pedestrian gate behind Easterbrooke Hall with tall rusticated gatepiers and gate to match railings.
GLENCAPLE ROAD: continuous run of railings from Low Lodge (listed separately) to Brownhall gate; boundary wall stepped up hill. Pedestrian gates at Spittalfield Cottages and opposite Ladyfield.
These simple cast iron railings are notable for their length: both runs are about 1/3 of a mile long and they stand as local landmarks, especially those along Glencaple road, which are particularly prominent. They provide a strong visual boundary to the Crichton Estate and are a defining feature of the Conservation Area. The railings were erected in stages between about 1885 and 1895. The first section was along Bankend Road between roughly Campbell House and Johnstone House. In 1889 the section between Low Lodge and Spittalfield cottages was erected, replacing a stone wall, and this was extended in 1892 when the vegetable garden was formed. The section between Johnstone House and Brownhall Lodge was erected in 1895, although the section at Church Lodge was re-aligned when the roundabout was installed. The railings were supplied by a local ironmonger, Messrs Grierson Bros at a cost of 25/- per yard. They were previously much longer and enclosed what is now part of the NHS hospital site on both roads. These were scrapped between 1943 and 1970.
The railings at gatepiers at Upper Brownhall Lodge and gatepiers at Low Lodge are listed separately with those lodges.
Map Refs: Brownhall Road railings run roughly between NX 98211 / 74388 and NX 98559 / 74034. Glencaple Road railings run roughly between NX 97889 / 74388 and NX 98031 / 73825
Other nearby listed buildings