This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6002 / 55°36'0"N
Longitude: -2.6716 / 2°40'17"W
OS Eastings: 357782
OS Northings: 634271
OS Grid: NT577342
Mapcode National: GBR 93SP.D9
Mapcode Global: WH7WQ.YH0N
Plus Code: 9C7VJ82H+39
Entry Name: North Lodge Including Gates And Railings, Ravenswood
Listing Name: Ravenswood, North Lodge Including Gates and Railings
Listing Date: 22 July 2010
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 400475
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51570
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Leaderdale and Melrose
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
Early 19th century; remodelled circa 1864, for Sir Henry Fairfax. Single-storey, stepped 3-bay gabled lodge with over-hanging eaves, trefoil-pierced decorative bargeboarding and ornate thistle finials. Stugged, squared and snecked sandstone rubble with polished ashlar dressings. Base course. Chamferred margins with corbelled chamfer-stops. Tudor hoodmoulds. S (Principal) elevation: gabled entrance bay to centre with lugged door surround. Slightly advanced gable to left with canted window with swept roof and 'HF' monogram panel above. Bipartite window with stone mullion to right.
Plate glass and 4-pane to timber frame sash and case windows. Grey slate. Central ridge stack with chamferred corners; clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
GATES AND RAILINGS: fine, ornate wrought-iron entrance gates with floral and scrolled motifs. Slender, cylindrical iron gate piers with acorn finials. Sweeping curve to quadrant railings terminating with pyramidal capped ashlar piers at outer arms.
Part of a B-Group comprising: Ravenswood House; Ravenswood, Stables; Ravenswood, North Lodge Including Gates and Railings; Ravenswood, South Lodge; Ravenswood, Summerhouse.
A well-detailed lodge house and fine pair of wrought-iron gates and railings fronting the N drive of Ravenswood estate. The chamfered margins, bargeboarding and thistle finials all add to distinctive character and architectural interest of the lodge. The wrought-iron gates, possibly by the renowned Thomas Haddon, are of particular interest.
John and Thomas Smith began Ravenswood House (see separate listing) for Major John Scott, a cousin to Sir Walter Scott and a younger of the Laird of Raeburn, in 1824 in the castellated Neo-Tudor style. A number of additions and alterations were made for subsequent owner, the celebrated Navy man, Admiral Sir Henry Fairfax, who was 27 at the time. The North Lodge appears to have been remodelled in the latter half of the 19th century for Fairfax whose monogram appears on the front of the lodge. The lodge is shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map od 1856 occupying the same footprint.