This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5997 / 55°35'58"N
Longitude: -2.6714 / 2°40'17"W
OS Eastings: 357790
OS Northings: 634212
OS Grid: NT577342
Mapcode National: GBR 93SP.FH
Mapcode Global: WH7WQ.YJ21
Plus Code: 9C7VH8XH+VC
Entry Name: Stables, Ravenswood
Listing Name: Ravenswood, Stables
Listing Date: 22 July 2010
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 400477
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51572
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Leaderdale and Melrose
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
Circa 1864; extensively remodelled, 1895 by Robert Lorimer (see Notes). Single-storey and attic, 3-bay, u-plan stable range and offices with over-hanging, bracketted eaves around covered central court and timber stalls to rear. Stugged, squared and snecked sandstone rubble with polished ashlar dressings. Run of timber stalls with piended roof to rear with prominent timber louvred ridge ventilators; wall with moulded cope and cast-iron railing linking stalls to u-plan office range and providing secondary court. Mounting step.
Astragalled plate glass to timber frame sash and case windows. Grey slate. Ridge stack to N; tall wallhead stack breaking eaves to S. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
Part of a B-Group comprising: Ravenswood House; Ravenswood, North Lodge Including Gates and Railings; Ravenswood, South Lodge; Ravenswood, Stables; Ravenswood, Summerhouse.
A solid and well-detailed u-plan stable and office arrangement including well-detailed timber stalls to rear with prominent timber louvred ridge ventilators. The stable, built for Admiral Sir Henry Fairfax in 1864, was extensively remodelled by distinguished architect and promoter of the Arts and Crafts style in Scotland, Robert Lorimer who went on to build and remodel a great number of country houses in Scotland. The courtyard was covered in the early 20th century, probably for the accommodation of motor vehicles. The stables are depicted on the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1896-8 occupying the same U-plan footprint.
John and Thomas Smith began Ravenswood House (see separate listing) in 1824 for Major John Scott, a cousin to Sir Walter Scott and a younger of the Laird of Raeburn castellated Neo-Tudor style.
Other nearby listed buildings