This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6005 / 55°36'1"N
Longitude: -2.6526 / 2°39'9"W
OS Eastings: 358975
OS Northings: 634286
OS Grid: NT589342
Mapcode National: GBR 93XP.H6
Mapcode Global: WH8XW.7H3G
Plus Code: 9C7VJ82W+5X
Entry Name: Summerhouse, Ravenswood
Listing Name: Ravenswood, Summerhouse
Listing Date: 22 July 2010
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 400478
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51573
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Jedburgh and District
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
Circa 1809 (see Notes) with alterations circa 1885 and 1892. Single storey, 3-bay, single-room summerhouse with pedimented entrance bay (W ELEVATION) and canted to rear with round-arched window, located on a promontory above the River Tweed to the N of Old Melrose House. Freestone rubble with pale ashlar dressings. Cill course; eaves course and moulded cornice. Margined quoins. Projecting lintel over doorway with ball-finial to moulded pediment above. Tall, coped wallhead stacks to N and S elevations.
INTERIOR: fine, high Victorian interior decorative scheme with timber coved ceiling (fallen in, 2009). Roll-moulded canopied chimneypiece with scrolled cast-iron ornament; tiled floor and glazed tile walls. Timber panelled shutters and window surrounds.
Part of a B-Group comprising: Ravenswood House; Ravenswood, North Lodge Including Gates and Railings; Ravenswood, South Lodge; Ravenswood, Stables; Ravenswood, Summerhouse.
The summerhouse at Old Melrose, part of the Ravenswood estate, is a distinctive and distinguished example of its building type. Although currently in a semi-ruinous state (2009), the structure is complete to wallhead and retains many of its architectural details including pedimented doorway, tall chimney stacks, moulded fireplace, round-arched window to rear, and much of the heavily tiled interior decorative scheme of 1885.
Stained glass was introduced to the window heads and a pair of tall chimney stacks were added by John Starforth circa 1892 and the building was comprehensively photographed by Henry Bedford Lemere in 1893 (see references).
The doorpiece contains a stone dated 1575, inscribed with the sacred monogram HIS and the initials of Robert Ormiston, who probably built a house at Old Melrose in that year. It is likely the summerhouse is predominantly constructed from stone from the earlier house, adding further to its historic interest.
The policies of Old Melrose were laid out in 1809 by Thomas White for the owner at that time, Colonel Lockhart. White's plan indicates the position of the summerhouse suggesting a probably construction date around that time. The building is positioned so that the large round-arched window would take in views of the River Tweed below (sight lines are currently obscured by tree growth, 2009).
Other nearby listed buildings