History in Structure

Sylvania, Brodick Castle Estate

A Category C Listed Building in Ardrossan and Arran, North Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.5921 / 55°35'31"N

Longitude: -5.158 / 5°9'28"W

OS Eastings: 201098

OS Northings: 637688

OS Grid: NS010376

Mapcode National: GBR FFNY.027

Mapcode Global: WH1MQ.QPZX

Plus Code: 9C7PHRRR+RQ

Entry Name: Sylvania, Brodick Castle Estate

Listing Name: Brodick Castle Estate, Sylvania

Listing Date: 22 July 2011

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 400740

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51789

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200400740

Location: Kilbride

County: North Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: Ardrossan and Arran

Parish: Kilbride

Traditional County: Buteshire

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in


1913. 2-storey, 3-bay, L-plan villa in Arran estate-style. Prominent gabled stone porch at re-entrant angle. Overhanging eaves with barge boards to gables. Pink hammer dressed sandstone in irregular courses, with ashlar dressings, to principal elevation. Plain irregular coursing to other elevations. Set within garden plot, to N of paddock, with principal elevation and entrance to S.

S ELEVATION: projecting bay at ground floor left with canted three-light bay window; bipartite window to right. Single breaking-eaves dormer to upper right. Bipartite window to upper left. Double leaf, vertically boarded door, within four-centred arch aperture to stone porch. Inner door panelled and half-glazed, with coloured textured glass. N ELEVATION: asymmetrical fenestration. Vertically boarded timber kitchen door to left and large door to coal store on right.

Timber sash and case windows with multi-paned upper sashes. Grey slates to roof, projecting bay and pitched porch roof. Stone chimney stacks with corniced coping.

INTERIOR (Seen 2010): timber stairs with turned balustrade of dark pine. Timber panelled doors (original). Timber fire surround with iron inset in drawing room. Cast iron fire surrounds of various designs in upper rooms. Fireplace, or range, has been removed from kitchen. Original timber fittings, including cupboards and architraves. Original plain plaster cornices in all rooms.

Statement of Interest

Part of A Group at Brodick Castle Estate comprising: Brodick Castle; Bavarian Summerhouse; Cnocan Burn Road Bridge; Greenhyde and Castle Cottages; Ice House; Walled Garden; the Nursery; Main Gates, West Gates and Coastal Boundary Walls; South Gates; Sylvania and Brodick Kennels.

Stylistically archaic, for 1913, and unusual for an estate building, Sylvania, nevertheless, is remarkably similar, in materials, massing and configeration to the main house at Brodick Kennels (1858) see separate listing. Only minor alterations to the drawings for the Kennels would be necessary to arrive at the Sylvania design. Stylistically similar also to houses at Alma Terrace and Douglas Row, Brodick - see separate listings - commissioned by the 11th Duke of Hamilton in the mid-19th century, indicating adherence to an established style, if not authorship by the same hand. Originally the Head Factor's house, it was clearly intended to impart status and authority. The individuality of the cast iron fire surrounds in the various rooms demonstrates that a choice of designs was offered when the interiors were being completed. The building would have been one of the general improvements carried out for Lady Mary Douglas-Hamilton, who inherited the estate in 1895 and married the 6th Duke of Montrose in 1906. When ownership of Sylvania passed to the National Trust for Scotland, along with Brodick Castle and various ancillary buildings, in 1958, it became the Head Gardener's House for the Brodick Castle Estate, and remains so (2010).

Brodick Castle Estate, now a discreet entity, was originally the nucleus of the Lands of Arran. Fought over during the Scottish War of Independence, it was transformed into an Earldom and granted to James Hamilton by his cousin, King James IV, in 1503. The Isle of Arran remained as one of the minor estates of the Dukes of Hamilton until the late 19th century. Agricultural improvements in the 18th century, culminating in the clearances of the early 19th century, eventually displaced the small scale and subsistence farming on the island. In the mid-19th, improved transportation made Brodick an attractive picturesque resort and hunting destination for the Hamiltons and the castle was substantially rebuilt with the area around it laid out as gardens and pleasure grounds. On the death of the 12th Duke, in 1895, Brodick passed to the future Duchess of Montrose. In 1957 the Castle and the policies immediately surrounding were conveyed to the National Trust for Scotland.

Listed as part of the National Trust for Scotland Estates Review, 2010-11.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.